Error running execute command node

Describe the issue/error/question

I have copied my workflow from local to the production and I have seen that my “execute command” node and “write binary file” appears an interrogant symbol:

But in my local version 0.182.0, it is running properly:

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share the workflow

(Select the nodes and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow respectively)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:**0.196.0
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): MySQL
  • **Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:**own
  • **Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:**desktop app

Hi @franchogarcia, can you confirm which production environment you are using? Would that be n8n cloud by any chance? Certain features like the Execute Command node or the option to write directly to the cloud filesystem are disabled for security reasons.

Or are you self-hosting n8n? If so, you might want to check the value of the NODES_EXCLUDE environment variable on your server as this is what would prevent nodes from being available in n8n.

Hello @MutedJam,

We don’t have this environment variable. So that isn’t means that any node is excluded?

Hey @franchogarcia,

Can you share the environment options you do have set (with anything important replaced)? Just to check though if you go to the side bar and search for execute command and write binary file do they appear?

Hello @Jon,
We had the environment variables as you said:

Then we have removed them and the nodes have appeared into the side bar.
But as @MutedJam told me, it is very dangerous for us, so we are going to do the solution in other way.
Thank you very much team for your help and support!!
BR!

1 Like

I mean it’s not dangerous per se - it depends on the context you run n8n in. Every user with access to n8n would be able to run any command through Execute Command node.

Either way I am glad to hear you figured out what it was. The config file didn’t occur to me, but would of course have the same effect as the respective environment variable here :slight_smile:

Hi @MutedJam, I’m interested in creating a workflow to organize files in different folders.

• To have this workflow do its thing on my own computer, can I do it with the desktop app or do I have to host it in Docker? (would need to familiarize myself with docker a bit more).

• From what I read from the docs and this thread the execute command node is disabled for the self-hosted version right? meaning you could if you want enable it?
    What would be the way to secure it? (just strong access to n8n on the server with 2FA or yubico maybe?)

thanks for your advice!