Execute Workflow node problem

Problem description

I’ve created a basecamp chatbot and connected it to a n8n workflow via a webhook node. Then a switch node parses different commands and execute actions some of them are calls to other workflows via Execute Workflow nodes. When I test this workflow with the Webhook Test URL, that is setting the Command URL of the Basecamp Chabot to the Webhook Test URL, all four of the commands work fine, I can chat with the bot and ask for static information in the same workflow (command: help → switch: 0), or ask for reports that execute in another workflow connecting to Notion, manipulating the data and publishing back to Basecamp.
The problem is that when I activate the workflow, change the URL to production, and trigger the workflow with the report (command: r1 → switch: 1) command that executes via Execute Workflow node, doesn’t work returning: {"message": "Error in workflow"}.

I tried many things to solve it. I should add that the workflow that execute the report works fine on it’s own, and has no node that ‘name’ that I can’t find. I’m seeking insights or advice on troubleshooting and resolving this issue.

What is the error message (if any)?

Inside Basecamp chat I receive this message from the Chatbot: :warning: Response code: 500.
In the Execution tab of the base workflow the error is: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘name’) the complete output is at the end below.

My workflow

Output returned by the last node

{
  "errorMessage": "Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'name')",
  "errorDetails": {},
  "n8nDetails": {
    "n8nVersion": "1.34.2 (Self Hosted)",
    "binaryDataMode": "default",
    "stackTrace": [
      "TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'name')",
      "    at objectToError (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/WorkflowExecuteAdditionalData.js:65:60)",
      "    at Object.executeWorkflow (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/WorkflowExecuteAdditionalData.js:602:15)",
      "    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)",
      "    at Object.executeWorkflow (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/NodeExecuteFunctions.js:2141:24)",
      "    at Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/ExecuteWorkflow/ExecuteWorkflow.node.js:216:40)",
      "    at Workflow.runNode (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Workflow.js:730:19)",
      "    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:660:53",
      "    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:1062:20"
    ]
  }
}

Setup Details:

• Basecamp Configuration: The chatbot in Basecamp is configured to send commands to the n8n webhook URL.
  • n8n Version: 1.34.2 (Self Hosted) Docker. Railway.app
  • Database: default: SQLite

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:
1 Like

I thought this information was already provided, but I’ll try again.

• n8n version: 1.36.4
  • Database: PostgreSQL
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting: Default (own, main)
  • Running n8n via: Docker on Railway.app
  • Operating system: Docker container (Linux-based)

I had a similar problem of “Cannot read properties of”, and upgrading to version 1.38 fixed it.