Execute workflow uses master node or publishes in the queue

Wanted to compare the webhook node and execute-workflow node. When we trigger through webhook node it increases load in the master node of n8n pods. Does execute-workflow node works the same way as webhook node or it just pushes the task in the queue hence no such increase in load in the master node.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @Robin_Ainikkal,

Welcome to the community :tada:

I would expect both options to put the job in the task queue to be picked up by a worker although it is possible that execute-workflow does run on the same instance.

Are you using the webhook-test url maybe?

Yes I understand that at the end rest will be processed by the worker nodes but for webhook the initial task of recieving the request and pushing it in the queue would be done in the master node right as at the end it’s an api call, where as I expect execute workflow would push the task directly to queue, hence not necessarily being on master node.

Basically I am trying to make a workflow which would call another workflow, so need to know which one is better and why?

1. Calling an api which points to webhook node of the sub workflow
  2. Using Execute trigger to call the sub workflow.

Hi @Robin_Ainikkal ,
The execute trigger would be a better choice,
Because when you call an another flow with that and sub flow comes with an error it would be reflected in main flow also,
moreover it is easy to setup with.

1 Like