Hey everyone ![]()
I’ve asked before about silent failures and got good answers — mostly “Error Trigger + Slack + heartbeat” covers it, and that’s true for 1-2 clients.
Curious about something different now. For those running automations for 5+ clients at once:
Onboarding a new client — how long did it actually take last time, start to finish? What was the slow/annoying part?
If a client’s contract ends, what do you have to go touch to cut them off? How many places?
Right now, without checking — do you know which clients are quiet vs active? If not, how would you find out?
Anyone track this in a spreadsheet or notes doc? What’s in it, and how often do you update it?
Has this ever cost you real time in a week — like, more than an hour? What happened?
Have you looked for a tool for any of this before? What did you find, and why didn’t you use it?
Not selling anything, just trying to understand where the real friction is once you’re past “one guy, one client, one workflow.”
Hey @ASHIM_DOLEY, while you wait for a response, here are some things that might help:
Suggested resources
Automatically matched to your question.
Docs:
Forum:
@Hovec, @Niffzy, @Emmas - you’ve helped with similar issues before, can you take a look?
Automatically suggested by n8n’s community bot. It’s a pilot - please share feedback here.
@ASHIM_DOLEY Once you’re handling multiple clients, I think the main challenge shifts from building workflows to keeping everything organized.
For onboarding, if the client setup is similar to something already built, it can take a few hours. If there are different APIs, credentials, mappings, exceptions, approvals, or client-specific logic, it can easily take a day or two. The slow part is usually not building the workflow itself — it’s getting the right access, understanding edge cases, testing with real data, and waiting for confirmations.
For offboarding, I’d normally check the client’s workflows, triggers/webhooks, credentials, external integrations, and whatever tracking/documentation I’m using. The exact number of places depends on the setup, but once you have several clients it’s easy to miss one dependency if you don’t have a checklist.
For knowing who is active vs quiet, n8n’s Executions tab helps, but I wouldn’t want to manually check every workflow once the number of clients grows. Ideally, I’d want one place where I can quickly see the client, workflows, last execution, last successful run, failures, and current status.
A simple spreadsheet can work for tracking things like client name, workflow names, purpose, production status, credentials/dependencies, owner/contact, and any special notes. The only problem with manual tracking is keeping it updated.
And yes, this can definitely take more than an hour in a week. Usually the time goes into figuring out which client/workflow is affected and whether the issue is a credential, API change, unexpected input, or something that technically ran successfully but produced the wrong result.
I haven’t really searched for a dedicated tool for all of this yet. So far, I’ve mostly managed it through n8n itself and some manual tracking. But I’ve actually been thinking that it could be useful to build something around n8n that gives one central view for clients, workflows, activity, failures, onboarding, dependencies, and offboarding.
For me, that’s where the real friction starts once you move past a couple of clients — not building the automations, but managing the full lifecycle around them.
This is exactly the kind of detail I was hoping for, thank you.
The “one central view” idea you mentioned — have you ever tried building even a rough version of that yourself (a spreadsheet, a notion doc, anything)? If yes, what made you stop or not keep using it? If no, what’s stopped you from starting?
Also curious on the offboarding checklist point — is that written down anywhere right now, or is it in your head / spread across your memory of each client’s setup?
(Asking because I’m actually building something in this exact space — an operations layer for agencies managing multiple n8n clients. Would love to show you what I’ve got once it’s further along, if you’re open to it.)
Yeah, I’ve actually started building a version of that central view with these exact problems in mind. It’s still very much a work in progress, and I’m trying to bring client-wise workflows, current status, recent activity, dependencies, issues, and what needs attention into one place.
For now I’m deliberately keeping it simple because I want to understand what’s genuinely useful before adding too much complexity. The plan is to gradually turn it into a much more complete system where most of the technical information can come directly from n8n, while the client-specific context is managed in one central place.
For offboarding, I’m still keeping things fairly basic. I maintain a manual sheet with the key details I need — client, related workflows, credentials/integrations, workflows or triggers that need to be disabled, access that needs to be removed, and any important notes. At the current scale that’s been manageable, so I haven’t needed a deeper setup yet.
And yes, I’d definitely be open to seeing what you’re building. I’m actually working on something in this space myself right now and I’m actively developing it into a more complete solution that brings client management, workflow visibility, monitoring, dependencies, onboarding/offboarding, and the overall operations side into one place.
Different stack here — I maintain ERP/accounting integrations for a dozen-plus clients, n8n only occasionally — but the multi-client disease is identical, so one data point from the boring side.
Onboarding: the build was never the slow part. Access was: VPN, service accounts, an inbox for alerts, “who approves this”. Technical setup is hours, the credential loop is days, and that wait is invisible in every plan.
Offboarding rule I learned the hard way: the number of places you touch to cut a client off equals the number of places onboarding scattered their state into — creds, schedules, alert routes, backup jobs. If that list wasn’t written down on day one, offboarding becomes archaeology.
Quiet vs active: only answerable where telemetry is centralized. My worst case was the opposite — a client’s data-exchange queue grew silently for months because the receiving side never confirmed anything. Every run “green”, nobody looked. Since then every client gets a heartbeat plus a two-sided count: what we sent vs what they accepted, same logic as double-entry books.
Spreadsheet: yes, one master file — clients, obligations, deadlines, money — updated the same day something changes, or it rots. It has outlived every attempt to replace it with a proper tool, because it needs zero migration and survives stack changes.
Tools: looked, never adopted. They all wanted to become the system of record, and the boring file already is. What I’d actually pay for is narrower: a per-client “what exists where” registry that reconciles against reality — both sides tying out.
This “reconciles against reality, doesn’t replace the system of record” distinction is really useful — that’s a sharper way to put it than I’d been thinking.
Two things I’d love to understand better:
- The two-sided heartbeat (what we sent vs what they accepted) — is that something you built per-client manually, or is it standardized across all of them? How long did it take to trust it once it was running?
- If a “what exists where” registry existed that just read from n8n/your systems and flagged mismatches — without asking you to move your spreadsheet into it — what would make you trust its numbers over your own file on day one?
Not trying to sell anything here — genuinely trying to understand where the trust bar is, since it sounds like you’ve already burned time on tools that didn’t clear it.
Standard pattern, per-client connector. The “what they accepted” side lives somewhere different for every client - a confirmation ledger inside the ERP, an API count, sometimes a file they export. So the form is standardized (sent / accepted / delta / unknown), the plumbing never is. Trust came fast: the counter caught a real mismatch in its first weeks - a receiving system that had been silently not-confirming for months. Nothing fails loudly like that, and nothing else would have surfaced it.
On day one - nothing would make me trust its numbers, and honestly I’d distrust a tool that expected me to. The bar: read-only against my systems, every number clickable down to the raw records it came from, and a parallel run against my file for a few weeks where every discrepancy gets explained - sometimes the file turns out wrong, that’s fine, but I need to see which one and why. And it has to say “don’t know” honestly. One confident wrong number kills the tool; the boring file has survived every replacement attempt precisely because it never pretends to know what it doesn’t.
If something cleared that bar I’d pay for it - reconciliation is the one job I’d happily hand off.
This is very useful. The “what exists where” part reconciled against reality seems like the core pain point to me.
Practical question: before building a tool, would a short manual audit of 1 customer be useful to you, where you map workflows, credentials/dependencies, alert routes, last successful runs, offboarding touchpoints, and 1–2 reconciliation checks like “what we sent vs what they accepted”?
I’m asking because I’m trying to understand whether this problem validates first as a service/audit before turning it into software.
This is genuinely one of the clearest specs I’ve gotten for what “trustworthy” means in this space — read-only, traceable to source, parallel-run before replacing anything, and honest uncertainty over confident wrong answers. That last one especially — I think most tools optimize for looking complete instead of being honest when they’re not sure, and that’s backwards.
I know your primary reconciliation problem is ERP-side, where n8n’s just occasional — so I’m not going to pretend what I’m building solves that today. But the n8n slice of it (client-wise status, dependencies, offboarding registry) is close to ready for a real parallel-run test, no migration, just reading against what you already have and showing where it agrees or doesn’t with your file.
Would you be open to trying that on just the n8n side once it’s ready — not as a replacement for your master file, just as a second opinion running next to it? Genuinely fine either way, and either answer helps me a lot.
Yes to the parallel run, ping me when it’s ready. Read-only next to my own file is a format I can agree to without thinking twice, and asking “genuinely fine either way” is the right way to get an honest tester.
One expectation though, since you quoted the honest-uncertainty line back at me: when your tool is not sure it sees the whole picture, I want that said on the run itself, not averaged away. That is the part I will be testing hardest.
On the per-client baseline: one habit from accounting transfers directly here. A baseline is an expectation with a calendar attached, what a normal Tuesday produces for this client, what month-end does to the number. Build the expected count per weekday and the quiet-or-broken question mostly answers itself. Averages hide exactly the days you care about.
Absolutely, in my experience, this hybrid approach is exactly the sweet spot. We faced the exact same problem and ended up solving non-invasive data collection the exact same way.
The biggest leverage here is the strict decoupling of the production system and observability. You no longer have to touch dozens or hundreds of running scenarios just to manually append error or log nodes. This eliminates the risk of slowing down the clients’ actual workflows or accidentally breaking things while refactoring.
You’re essentially building a parallel monitoring infrastructure: The foundation is a pure “zero-footprint” approach via the REST API—pulling execution times and status codes asynchronously and completely independently. If a client system catches fire, your monitoring remains completely unaffected.
This keeps the entire setup extremely low-maintenance. I’m really curious to see how your architecture holds up in long-term testing under heavy load!
@AleksGorbatov — coming at this from the outside, I’m not the tool Ashim is building. Different angle, same failure you named.
The case you described — “a receiving system that had been silently not-confirming for months” — is the one I’ve been working on: the run is green, the webhook answered 200, and the record never landed. Nothing fails loudly, so nothing surfaces it.
You said you’d test hardest for a tool saying so when it can’t see the whole picture, so let me do that before you spend a minute on it. Mine reads a workflow export statically and shows where records can be dropped without anyone noticing — no error path, a webhook that answers before the write, retries that duplicate, no dedupe key. It does not watch runtime, so it cannot tell you what the far side actually accepted. That’s your two-sided heartbeat, and it’s the half I don’t have.
So the ask is the reverse of a pitch: point me at one workflow you’d hate to find out has been dropping records, and I’ll send back what it found and what it couldn’t see. Read-only, nothing connects to your systems, strip the credentials from the export first. Free, no strings — the “couldn’t see” half is what I’m actually after.
And a genuine question while I’m here, since your baseline point stuck with me: “an expectation with a calendar attached” — do you set that per client by hand, or did you find a way to derive it from history without it drifting?
Measured it rather than guessed, because a number I can’t show you isn’t worth
answering with.
Corpus: 2,061 public n8n workflow exports. 902 of them contain a write that
creates a record (HTTP POST, or a create/append/insert on an integration —
upserts excluded, those are already keyed). Of those 902, 32 carry an explicit
dedupe: 22 with a Remove Duplicates node, 10 with an upsert keyed on a unique
field. That’s 3.5%.
The caveat that matters: those are public templates, not client production
exports. A template is written to show a happy path, so I’d expect real client
work to be better than 3.5% — but I have no corpus of production exports to
prove that, so I’m not going to claim a number for it. The honest version is
“almost never in what I can see, and I can’t see the part that counts.”
Your answer on the calendar is the useful half for me — anchoring to what the
receiving side confirmed, and keeping the client’s calendar separate as data
rather than folding it into history. History can tell you the shape of a normal
week; it can’t tell you the client shut for a bank holiday. That distinction is
the thing I’d have got wrong.
Since your plumbing is Python-side, this isn’t for you today and I’m not going
to pretend otherwise. If you ever end up looking at someone else’s n8n export
and want a second pair of eyes on where records can vanish quietly, the offer
stands — read-only, credentials stripped, no strings.
Answering as the account name suggests — we build a monitoring tool, so weigh the last paragraph accordingly. The rest is from running our own instances.
“Do you know which clients are quiet vs active?” This one is worth separating from the rest of your list, because it is not a discipline problem. The obvious signal lies to you: a workflow’s active flag is a stored boolean, not a promise that a trigger is armed. After a restart that did not re-register a schedule trigger, the workflow reads active forever and never runs again. Nothing failed, so no error workflow fires, so the heartbeat pattern you already have stays quiet too.
The check that does work is boring: for each active workflow, compare the timestamp of its last execution against the interval it is supposed to run at. GET /api/v1/workflows and GET /api/v1/executions give you both, and anything past its own interval is stale whether or not someone remembered to write it down.
Two traps if you build that yourself:
- The executions endpoint is a window, not a history.
EXECUTIONS_DATA_MAX_AGEprunes on a schedule and the default is shorter than most people assume, so a workflow that went quiet weeks ago can be missing from the window entirely. Counts have to be kept outside the instance as they happen. - Anything running inside the instance goes down with it. The restart that stalls your triggers stalls your checker too, and its silence looks exactly like everything being fine.
Free workflow that does the stall check inside a single instance, if you want the shape of it: GitHub - Triponymous/n8n-silent-workflow-check: Find n8n workflows that are active but have not run — the failure that produces no failed execution, so no error workflow fires · GitHub — it has the second flaw by construction and says so in the sticky note.
“Have you looked for a tool?” We ended up writing one (duskwatch.me) because a spreadsheet does not survive the keeping-it-updated problem @Shubham_S describes. It covers exactly one column of your question: several instances in one list with last run, failures, stalls and unreachable time, plus a monthly PDF per client. It covers none of the onboarding, credential or offboarding lifecycle — and reading your list back, that is where most of the hour actually goes. If anyone here has solved the “what do I have to touch to cut a client off” part without a checklist in a doc, I would genuinely like to know how.
I would make the offboarding record executable, not just a checklist: one row per client-owned integration with its workflow, credential owner, trigger or webhook, data destination, retention decision, and verification query. First freeze new ingress, then revoke or disable each item and record the evidence. The final check is a read-only run showing no active client credentials, enabled client triggers, or executions after the agreed cutoff. That gives onboarding a reverse template too, which is what makes the register maintainable.