[GOOGLE SHEETS] cant send formula into google sheets

Describe the problem/error/question

im trying to send a formula into a cell in google sheets, its goes like this

=IMGURL()

But when it gets sent it will not have the ‘=’ sign, if i try to send it as a string like “=IMGURL()” it comes into the sheet as “”=IMGURL()“”

Is it possible to send a formula into the GOOGLE sheets file and have it work like a formula?

ive tried it on let google sheets format it

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

this is what it looks like in the sheet

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

when u type in a ‘=’ into the input box it automattically turns into an expression box and totally butchers the = sign. its so smart but its annoying

Hi @Josh-Ghazi, I am very sorry for the trouble. Internally n8n will treat all field values with an = as expression (similar to how Google Sheets would store formulas) which leads to this behaviour.

Perhaps you want to check out this thread for more information? The tl;dr is you want to use = inside an expression, and re-add it if you ever need to edit the node again.

1 Like

Because I get the notification I will react to this. Since i’m doing this it’s working, but if you go back on the node it remove automatically the ‘=’ mark.

I setup this by doing a double ‘==’ then leave the node and going back there and never re open it when it’s in production. At least, it work for me ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

strange solution I will have to try it out, but it seems like exploiting a bug to make a feature work as it should

Update: Couldnt get it working the way it should, so i just gave up and did what i wanted in google appscript instead. Thank you all for your input. much appreciated as always

{{'=IMGURL()' }}

Try to make it as an expression, this should fix it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.