Google Sheets grid limits

Hey there! I can’t append a row of data to a Google Sheet.
The error message: Range (‘List’!158) exceeds grid limits. Max rows: 157, max columns: 23

I can do it using an old version node, but I don’t get a row_number then

• n8n version: 0.217.2

Thank you!

I found that the error occurs if there is a column with data of the “checkbox” type

Maybe someone has a solution?

Hi @Pilar, I am so sorry for the trouble.

I am not exactly a Google Sheets user, until I read your post just now I didn’t even know creating checkbox columns was an option :see_no_evil:

That said, I just ran the below workflow on the latest available n8n version and didn’t run into the problem:

No checkbox is actually created though in my test sheet:

Could you perhaps share a Google Sheet (without any confidential data of course) and a workflow using which the problem can be reproduced? The sheet wouldn’t have to allow public write access, reading should be enough so I can take a copy to further experiment with this.

Also, are you perhaps able to work around this problem by using the “Map Each Column Below” mode and manually specifying the relevant columns (without the checkbox one)? Like so:

Thank you! I forgot to say that my google sheet has grid limits and I can’t change it.
So when I try to add a row, an error occurs and 1 empty row is added to the sheet.
When I use the old node of Google Sheet, I can add this row, but in this case I don’t get the row_number.

Hi @Pilar, I tried reproducing this by using this Sheet. running the below workflow:

That’s on the current version of n8n with the current node version though. Based on your description you seem to be using an older version of the node which wouldn’t be actively maintained anymore I am afraid.

Seeing the current version does not have support for your specific use case, perhaps you want to call the Google Sheets API directly through the HTTP Request node? This way you wouldn’t be limited by the options provided by n8n’s Google Sheets node. How to style Google Sheets cells - #3 by MutedJam would have an example of how to do this in principle. Even though it’s not the exact update you have in mind it could serve as a starting point for your own workflow.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but unfortunately I don’t know how to apply this to my case. I add empty rows to the sheet using an Http request, but I don’t get the row_number. Consequently, I don’t know which range to update.
For this I need to count the number of all rows in the table. It’s very strange that I can’t just add a row and get its number.

Hm, I’ll try to have a look through the Google Sheets API when I have a bit more time and see if I can figure this out. This isn’t one I am familiar with unfortunately.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.