Help with extracting thumbnails from Box files for Notion

Hi, I am looking for some help with the following:

I manage about everything in Notion. I store my files in Box. I have several automations in n8n to import files in Box and create database entries in Notion. All works pretty well. One of the things I manage in Notion are my documents. In the database entries is a share-link to Box where the actual files are stored. So far so good.

When I look at the database for my documents in Notion, it is not very sexy and easy to work with. Each document has a line with title and other info. It looks like this:

What I would want to do is create a picture gallery in Notion with a preview if the document. It is much easier when searching a specific document and it looks much better. I know this can work and it looks like this:

This can work if you place the thumbnail as the first picture in the Notion page. But extracting them and uploading them manually would be a pretty boring and big task. This is why I started working with n8n in the first place to automate things like this.

Can someone help me to get this done?

What I have tried:

1. I tried to GET the thumbnail from Box with the HTTP node. But I get a credential error when using the oauth2 credentials saved in n8n. I can get the file itself with the same HTTP node and create a sharelink, but I cannot get the Thumbnail.
    https://developer.box.com/reference/get-files-id-thumbnail-id/
  2. I tried importing a curl from the same API Box page with a API acces token. This downloaded a file, but it is a pdf logo. It is not the thumbnail of the file.

32-pdf-8IMgVe

1. I tried looking for an alternative in a third party website for extracting a thumbnail from the first page of the PDF. Like a OCR service. But did not find anything.

Is there anybody who has done something simular and wants to share his/her experiences?
Is there anybody who can help me further with this?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @wendan :wave:

I’m not too sure if this is what you’re looking for, but are you looking to update the icon for your database pages? Because that can be done in the node just fine, and might help you out here:

That ended up looking like this for me:

Would something like that suit you? :thinking:

Hi, thanks for your response.

I am not trying to update the icon, but the thumbnail of the gallery view.

Do you have any views on that also?

Grtz

Hi @wendan :wave:

Been trying to look into this for you, but honestly not so sure if it’s possible :thinking: Someone with more experience than me with Notion may be able to chime in and assist, though!