How do I stop a new file trigger starting before the file is fully there?

Hi

I’m self-hosting my n8n.

I’ve got a local file trigger to start a workflow (it watches for changes within a local folder), but the workflow is triggered as soon as it sees a new file, even if the file hasn’t finished copying to the destination (or is still being written to).

My question is, what is the most appropriate way to combat this? I was wondering if I had any options besides a rudimentary “Wait”

Hey @UnluckyForSome,

I thought we would typically wait for the file to be ready, If that isn’t happening it would be a case of setting up a wait loop. Oddly while a basic solution it is something I had to implement many times about 8 - 10 years ago when I was going with file transfer automation and it always gets the job done.

@UnluckyForSome what OS do you use? I could imagine what your experiencing might not be reproducible on all OSes.

From user experience side, if there’s a change we can make in the node to check for whether the file is fully transferred - sounds like something we’d want to do under-the-hood for users. Not sure if it’s technically possible, but worth an investigation.

1 Like

I’m using Docker on a Synology… I’ve noticed it thinks the file is there while it’s still copying through Windows SMB so I imagine it’s that!

Are you able to transfer the file somewhere and when it’s finished then move it into the directory that n8n is watching?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.