How to get status from nodes using the n8n API?

I’m executing a workflow and in some point the node has the status of waiting:

I’m using the API provided by n8n (API reference | n8n Docs) in order to get information about the workflow:

https://docs.n8n.io/api/v1/executions/{id}

Nevertheless, the information I’m getting points the node status as success:

“executionStatus”: “success”

this is different from the console where the diagram points the status as waiting, it is possible to get this information using the API provided by n8n?

Hi @hvo :wave: Welcome to the community :tada:

Would you be able to share your workflow here to take a closer look into this? When I tried just now with status and a wait node, I got the appropriate waiting response :thinking:

Can you also let us know the following:

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi, what does the n8n node set to status: waiting do exactly? I’ve been trying to use it to get all executions that are active, but n8n node outputs nothing.

I have activated a workflow to run every minute and it has a wait node as well, but executing the n8n node (in a different workflow) give me no output. It only shows the failed or successful executions.

I want to use it to for a scenario where I can only run one instance of one of my workflows at a time, I was hoping the n8n node would read the active one.

n8n version: cloud, 1.1.1

Hi @blueberry - could you share your workflow(s) with us for us to take a look? If you hit ctrl/cmd + a and then ctrl/cmd + c, you can paste your workflow between two sets of three backticks (```) which would help us out :bow:

This one I use for running executions every minute:

And this one is to check for any waiting executions of the previous workflow:

I’m executing it a few times, clicking and clicking, refreshing but no data to output as the other workflow is running and running. I may be confused by what “waiting” actually means. All in all I want to accomplish what this post is talking about without the html calls and cookies as now there is an n8n node:

Hi @blueberry :wave: So an interesting thing here with your workflows - technically, this wait would not be long enough. Anything under 65 seconds would be classified as an “active” workflow. If it’s more than 65 seconds, the workflow run will be persisted in the database, which then the status would be “waiting”.

To see any actual executions, you might need to make the wait time more like a few minutes :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.