How to troubleshoot issues with RSS Trigger

Describe the problem/error/question

I would like to find a way to figure out why the RSS Trigger is not always activated when new feeds are present. Feels like the hourly check is not being executed, but only on some workflows, others that have the exact same confi seem to be working.

I recently got some of those workflows triggering after updating the docker to 1.15.2 from 1.14.1

What is the error message (if any)?

No error and no execution is listed. I have a notification configured on error that is also not being executed, so I assume no error happened.

Please share your workflow

Removed sensitive info from the workflow.

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.15.2
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system: ubuntu server 22.04

Hi @nukeador, welcome to the community and sorry for the trouble!

The RSS Feed Trigger trigger would be a polling trigger identifying already processed items based on the timestamp. So if polling fails (for example because of an unstable network connection), the trigger might miss some entries. The same would happen if entries appear in a given feed only with a delay.

For a more stable behaviour, perhaps you want to consider connecting n8n to a full RSS reader keeping track of the already processed items? This way you can (for example) fetch all unread items rather than items added since in the last polling interval, then mark them as read to prevent re-reading them. I’ve discussed possible approaches previously in this thread which you might find helpful.

I ran into the same issue. My problem was that the date of the article wan’t exactly the moment of publishing. The RSS Feed trigger just compares timestamps, it doesn’t have a database of what it has already seen. If the polling rate is too quick compared to how old the publish timestamp is back dated (often to the beginning of the day, or something with timezone issues), the feed trigger doesn’t fire.

My quick fix was to use a local database to record all the links I had seen before. You can use anything including google spreadsheet as that database, I just happened to use Elasticsearch because that’s easy for me as I use it every day.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Azathought. Yeah, I think your approach is much more suitable than the default polling approach just using timestamps when encountering such problems. This goes for most polling nodes of course, not just the RSS trigger.

It’s actually similar to what I’ve shared in the thread, just using ES as a replacement for the tool mentioned over there. It makes a lot of sense to use a tool you already have in place and are familiar with. For most RSS feeds even a Google Sheet could do :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.