I send an email via "send email" but it doesn't reach the destination

I’m wanting to send an email via smtp hostgator, through the “send email” node, I even get a positive response on n8n but the email doesn’t reach the recipient

other possible configuration

I get the following response in the stream

the n8n is normal, but the email does not reach the recipient

If the email is being accepted but not delivered, that is unlikely to be on the N8N side.

You need to check your email delivery - most likely it is going to the spam folder or being rejected by the receiving server.

And in that case, it’s most likely due to SPF/DKIM not being configured correctly, or possibly that Hostgator IP is on a blacklist (Hostgator is not exactly known for being a reputable email delivery service).

2 Likes

I checked the inbox and the “spam” and it didn’t really arrive, I’ll check the SPF/DKIM. I also installed the “wp mail smtp” plugin on wordpress and it worked perfectly, so I thought it was on n8n

Hi @Presley_Nunes_de_Men ,

Check the spam level of your mails with the tool https://www.mail-tester.com/

It will help you to identify DKIM/DMARC/SPF authentication problems.

:wink:

1 Like

I noticed you are sending to a Gmail account - and your sending email has ‘comercial’ aka “commercial” in the name. Check the Promoted folder in Gmail to make sure you didn’t wind up there. Also check your HostGator email logs - they should be confirm whether the message was at least delivered to the Gmail servers: Can I Get a Copy of My Email Logs? | HostGator Support

1 Like

@Presley_Nunes_de_Men

I had this problem with Hostgator, their support couldn’t give a solution, so I switched to Zoho Mail

Now it came to my mind, use an SMTP service like SendGrid, I’ve been using their API to send transactional messages…there’s a node of this service in the n8n… do a test with their free plan and see if it works

Hi @Claudio_Balbino, I just translated your post into English to make it easier for everyone to follow the conversation. Would be cool if you could post in English going forward (or use our Portuguese Discord channel for chatting about n8n in Portuguese) :slight_smile:

On the actual topic, I’d say +1 for Sendgrid. I am using it for my private n8n instance and didn’t have trouble so far. They also support SMTP quite well (= on all relevant ports, with both SSL and STARTTLS) and guide you through verifying your domain setup in their UI.

1 Like

Sorry for my mistake, I’ll be careful not to make that mistake again :wink:

1 Like

Don’t worry too much about that, randomly starting to speak German with an English colleague happens to me all the time :see_no_evil:

Give me a shout if you run into any trouble with Sendgrid.

Good morning gentlemen, sorry for the delay in responding, I was doing some tests and identified the following: when I send an email by “send email” to a recipient of the hostgator itself, such as [email protected], it works properly. but when I send it to an email from gmail, hostgator simply does not generate any log, n8n accesses the hostgator account, but cannot send the message, there must be something in hostgator itself that prevents this. another thing I identified by mail-tester.com that my email "[email protected] is on two blacklists, I don’t know if this interferes, even so I sent it to another email “[email protected]” and it wasn’t. all the gmail labels like “spam”, “promoted”, etc. but I didn’t really get it.

our colleague @Claudio_Balbino must have been excited to answer in Portuguese, since we speak the same language.

in portuguese: " grande abraço Balbino, “tamo junto”…

1 Like

I also identified that hostgator did not generate a log when it is an external server, only when I sent it to itself

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: from br542.hostgator.com.br
	by br542.hostgator.com.br with LMTP
	id ePgSO0ima2PanQQAnTs0pg
	(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
	for <[email protected]>; Wed, 09 Nov 2022 10:08:24 -0300
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 10:08:24 -0300
Received: from [20.79.72.36] (port=62784 helo=[127.0.0.1])
	by br542.hostgator.com.br with esmtpsa  (TLS1.2) tls TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
	(Exim 4.95)
	(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
	id 1oskoa-001UUf-Md
	for [email protected];
	Wed, 09 Nov 2022 10:08:24 -0300
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
To: [email protected]
Subject: lorem ipsum
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 13:08:21 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0

lorem ipsum

in this it generated log, but did not send

I can also recommend Sendgrid for when you need to send transactional emails:

• amazing free tier, 100 emails/ day (not monthly) forever free
  • Has n8n node, but also can be used in Send Email node with vanilla SMTP
  • Took a few mins to setup, can email from my @n8n.io email (which is run by Gmail; so works even if you want to send from your gmail).
  • Has useful features like dynamic templates if you need them (I don’t). So can use for proper transactional emails.

No idea how cost effective it is at scale, but recommend it as a goto for any usecase where you expect to send less than 100 emails a day.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was doing other tests and finally I ended up joining sendgrid, I added the hostgator email in it and configured it in the “sendgrid” node of the n8n it worked perfectly, not satisfied I also configured the “send email” node and it worked normally, sendgrid helped me.

Thank you all for the help provided.

to the next!

2 Likes

Awesome news, thanks so much for confirming!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.