Impossible? Push boolean value to key named in set node

Describe the issue/error/question

Hello you lovely people. Might struggle to articulate this so bear with me.

We need to update the boolean value of a Notion database property/key but the name of that database property/key comes from a set node.

We’ve tried dozens of different things, with one attempt workflow below, but are defiantly out of our depth so very much appreciate it if anyone is able to at least confirm if n8n is even capable of something like this. (We suspect it is as it’s so proficiently coded, I’d be surprised if there was much n8n couldn’t handle!)

Cheers!

EDIT: the latest expression attempt wasn’t showing in the ‘Key’ part of the Notion node so will pop it here as well: {{ {“{{$node[“Dummy Data”].json[“name”]}}”:$json[“body”][“true”]} }}

What is the error message (if any)?

n/a

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

n/a

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: latest
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): unkown
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: unknown
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: heroku

Hi @ersatz.feign,
I do not think this is possible, at least not the way you are trying to do this. When using the key property you are selecting the database field you want to update.

Once you’ve selected a key you are presented with value inputs or options, depending on the type of key field you have selected.

In your expression you are trying to set both key: value for the key field, that’s not how that is working.

Do you have to dynamically set the key from a Set Node? Ideally you can preselect the key and set the value as an expression.

An alternative would be to use n8n’s Http Request Node and post updates to notion’s api yourself.

1 Like

Hey buddy,

Thanks for your wisdom. Yes, whilst the value will always be the same, we do need to dynamically set the key from another node. What made us think it might be possible was the fact that when a workflow has no data, the key field box in the Notion node shows: key | value. Also, I’m fairly sure it’s possible in other similar tools. Plus, n8n is so capable, we figured that it’s quite likely that it can do it, it’s just a matter of working out how.

In light of that, would you say you are 100% sure there is no method or would you think it might be a good idea to run it past Jan as well?

Cheers!

Hey there,

I just talked to @MutedJam about this, he confirmed that setting the key using an expression is not a solution here. For each of the keys you want to use you should setup an IF Node (you could also use a Switch Node). Doing that would enable you create specific Notion Update Database Page for each individual key you need to setup. Would that work for you?

1 Like

@marcus - shame but thanks for confirming with the team, appreciate it.

Yes, a series of IF nodes was gonna be our next option whilst the volume that needs to be set is still low and then we might migrate to HTTP request nodes if things become unmanageable.

Cheers again buddy!

1 Like