Impossible to run n8n behind an implicit proxy

Describe the problem/error/question

I had to build the Dockerfile and after jumping many hurdles, the image was finally built with proxy support. Or so I thought. When running the image, I encountered the errors below. It seems to me that the product is not properly designed for corporate use, which most companies use proxy servers. Why are companies’ need to use proxy servers ignored, when they are likely to be the main paying customers? Anyway, I went through so many articles here and elsewhere but nothing helps.

What is the error message (if any)?

2024-02-21T09:41:42.598Z [Rudder] error: Response error code: UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY
2024-02-21T09:41:42.643Z [Rudder] error: Error: UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY
AxiosError: unable to get local issuer certificate
Error: unable to get local issuer certificate
AxiosError: unable to get local issuer certificate

I managed to get proxy support for Docker, NPM, etc to work, but after trying 3 days just to get the basic interface up, I’m stuck at proxy support for Axios.

Please share your workflow

I merely just want to at least see the web UI.

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version: 1.27.3
  • **Database (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): default
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • **Operating system: Centos

Hey @whatthegit,

Welcome to the community :tada:

Axios has a known issue if you are using an HTTP proxy with HTTPS endpoints as it can’t handle the CONNECT method correctly. We do have a dev ticket opened to work around this in the future and it should be resolved soon but for now the only option would be to have an https listener on your proxy as well.

Thanks @Jon .

So I just need to have a HTTPS listener, and point HTTPS_PROXY environment variable to it, will do?

From what I researched, this issue had been around for a long time. I just find it such a waste that due to this, a lot of companies just simply cannot proceed further with n8n as it doesn’t work will proxies properly. There is definitely a lot of opportunities lost, and I am certain that once this is resolved, business will become better for sure.

Hey @whatthegit,

You got it and I am sure you are right, Oddly enough though for most of our current enterprise customers this has not been an issue that doesn’t change fixing this but it is interesting to know.