Input 2 on merge node not getting triggered when only connected to node in front

Describe the problem/error/question

I am trying to trouble shoot one of my workflows and when I pulled out the following section, it doesn’t work like it does in the original workflow. The node on input 2 is not getting trigged.

Which makes me think I have been using this incorrectly.

I am trying to replicate a left join.

Original workflow:

Troubleshooting workflow:

Is this expected behaviour?

Many thanks

What is the error message (if any)?

N/A

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: Version 1.17.1
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): n8n cloud

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

@got_flat , try switching to v0 (legacy) execution order in Settings of the workflow. If using v1 logic, you need those node’s input connected to a node that would trigger them.

See n8n v1.0 migration guide | n8n Docs for the difference between legacy and new execution order.

2 Likes

Thank ihortom.

The below change to the workflow has worked for me.

Is this the best way to do it or there something more elegant?

Cheers

1 Like

Hey, @got_flat , I’m not aware of any other ways. If adding extra connections looks messy you always can switch to v0 legacy ordering. I have built many workflows with very complex flows. Using v1 ordering becomes almost impossible without interconnecting the nodes in indeed very messy way. Thus, I often use v0. On the other hand, those connections might help to understand dependencies more clearly and they facilitate execution of the nodes in more effective way with v1 ordering. I just hope that n8n team will not deprecate the legacy v0 ordering. I’m convinced that both have the right to be.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.