Install n8n on a synology without docker

Hello i wanna install it on a synology. on my synology runs the latest node js version.
but after the installation it comes this error
npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142

npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: This version of pg-promise is obsolete. You should update to a newer version.
and later then this errors

user “root” does not have permission to access the dev dir “/volume1/@appstore/Node.js_v8/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/mmmagic/.node-gyp/8.9.4”

Welcome to the community @Bastian_Vorholt!

The first two ones are just warnings and they will not cause any problems. The last error I googled and found this issue which will help:

Apart from that does it seem that you are using Node.js v8 but for n8n to run you should use at least v10+,

ok i have also tested it on my mac local webserver and there are also access problems on my mac runs v12.16.3

Welcome to the community @Bastian_Vorholt!

The root permission issues is a common one that we see in Linux. It generally has to do with a global installation of NodeJS being installed with a user account that has different permission to the node_modules directory than the user account being used to install n8n. When the n8n installation attempts to write the mmmagic module, it does not have the permissions to do so and it then fails.

The second issue that you are going to run into is that with the upgrade of the older version of NodeJS. If you just upgrade to a more recent version, you will end up having problems with the installation of the mmmagic package.

Warning: This is just a general overview of what has worked for me in the past on various systems. It may or may not work for you on the Synology. Since I do not know if the Synology user NodeJS for its core systems or even WebUI, there is a very real chance that removing NodeJS could cause issues your system that renders it unusable. Proceed at Your Own Risk!

My recommendations would be to perform the following:

1. Uninstall all NodeJS packages and modules
  2. Manually remove NodeJS
  3. Install updated version of NodeJS
  4. Update the global installation of NodeJS with a modules folder located on the root user’s home directory
  5. Reinstall n8n

Here are a few articles for you to read as reference:

Let us know how this works out for you!

1 Like