Invalid Syntax Error in node Execution Workflow [version [email protected] ]

Hello n8n Community,

I’m reaching out for some help with an issue I encountered while executing a workflow. I’ve set up a node to execute a workflow with specific parameters, but I’m running into a syntax error that I’m unable to resolve.

##What I did:
1. Set up an “Execute Workflow” node with a JSON input containing extraction_id, user_id, and advertiser_id.
2. Configured the node to run with these parameters.

Expected Result: The workflow should execute using the provided parameters without any issues.

##Actual Result:
The node returns an “invalid syntax” error, which seems to be related to the expression syntax (please see attached screenshots).

Has anyone encountered this before or could offer guidance on what might be causing this syntax issue? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

What is the error message (if any)?

Share the output returned by the last node

n8n version

1.37.3 (Cloud)

Stack trace

Error: invalid syntax at Expression.renderExpression (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:225:23) at Expression.resolveSimpleParameterValue (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:197:34) at resolveParameterValue (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:278:25) at Expression.getParameterValue (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:295:31) at resolveParameterValue (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:276:29) at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:284:61 at Array.map (<anonymous>) at Expression.getParameterValue (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Expression.js:284:47) at getNodeParameter (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/NodeExecuteFunctions.js:1539:42) at Object.getNodeParameter (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/NodeExecuteFunctions.js:2235:24) at Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/HttpRequest/V3/HttpRequestV3.node.js:1204:42) at Workflow.runNode (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Workflow.js:728:42) at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:660:68 at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:1062:20

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.37.3
  • **Database (default: SQLite):cloud
  • **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):cloud
  • Running n8n via (n8n cloud): cloud
  • **Operating system:Mac OS - 14.2.1

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

hello @Eduardo_Moscatelli
Have you checked for failed executions inside the sub-workflow? That error may be from any of its nodes. But according to the error stack, that may be the HTTP Node in the sub-workflow.

Thank you for the feedback, @barn4k . Indeed, there is an error in an HTTP Node in another Workflow. I was not aware that the Execute Workflow Node could receive errors from the Workflow it calls, but it appears that it can.

Is there a way for this node not to receive errors that occur in the called flow? Or if an error occurs in any node in the called Workflow, will it be notified and display an error?

I need to understand this dynamic, as I have another flow dedicated to error handling with an error trigger node that maps errors that occurred in each specific flow, and I keep a history of these logs in the database for each individual flow. It seems I might end up saving in the database an error from a specific flow that did not actually occur (it was just notified of an error that occurred in another flow).

The error behavior in n8n acts as follows. Imagine you have a workflow 1, which executes workflow 2. The workflow 2 executes workflow 3. And if there is an error in workflow 3, it will pass the error to the workflow 2, which pass it to the workflow 1.
The Error trigger will see an error in the workflow 1.

You can change that behavior in the execute node options (continue on error). But then you will need to handle the scenario when the sub-workflow has some error and you will need to act in the main workflow accordingly

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.