Is there a way to provide AWS credentials as a config file?

Is it possible to store AWS credentials: Access Key ID, Secret Access Key & Session Token in a file and have n8n load it instead of setting them via AWS S3 node UI ?

If yes: what should be the file content format, extension, name and path?

Hey @Gowthaman_Prabhu,

Node credentials most of the time would need to be set in the UI, Technically you could write a worfklow that reads and parses a local file and use expressions in the credentials to reference the values you read.

Out of interest why would you like to load them from a file rather than have them stored encrypted in a database?

@Jon Good point. Can I do the reverse then?. Save encrypted credentials in the DB myself? n8n can then read them if I use the same encryption key yes?

Hey @Gowthaman_Prabhu,

In theory you could manually write encrypted values to the database and it should read them but that would take a bit more work and I don’t have an example for that.

What I would do though is use the new API which has an option to add credentials to n8n.

1 Like

@Jon Finally. Been waiting for the API :slight_smile:. Are docs available too?

There should be docs in your n8n instance, if you go to settings there will be an option for API and that will give you a swagger interface you can play with.

1 Like

@Jon Thank you

1 Like