Issues starting the selfhost website on server

Describe the problem/error/question

I just tried to update my selfhost n8n on Railway and now it is crashing when I try open the website any solutions?

I don’t know what to use here I tried connecting an image and it is crashing instantly.

Hi @Marcus_SPS

To help fix this, could you share a bit more context or a screenshot of your Deployment Logs in Railway?

Hi @Marcus_SPS
That EACCES on /home/node/.n8n/config is the Railway volume: it mounts owned by root while the n8n image runs as the node user, so n8n cannot write its config and exits straight away. Point Connect Image at the official image:

n8nio/n8n

Then add these two variables and redeploy:

RAILWAY_RUN_UID=0
N8N_USER_FOLDER=/home/node

RAILWAY_RUN_UID=0 runs the container as root so it can write to the volume, and N8N_USER_FOLDER keeps n8n on your existing /home/node/.n8n mount instead of falling back to /root/.n8n, so your workflows and encryption key come back with it.

@Marcus_SPS

Both screenshots confirm the exact same permission issue: Error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/home/node/.n8n/config'

How often do I need to update the workflow?

You only need to update a workflow when:

APIs change when external services like Slack, OpenAI or Google update or deprecate an endpoint.

The requirements have changed. You need to change your business logic or the steps in the flow.

Nodes get updated: n8n releases fixes or new features for the nodes you use.

Otherwise, if it’s running smoothly, don’t change a thing. Just back up/export your workflow JSON before making any future changes.