Issues with Webhook in Spite of Payload Size Being Smaller Than Expected

Hello n8n Community,

I am encountering a problem with my webhook where the payload size is considerably smaller than the expected limit of 16MB. Specifically, I am unable to process payloads that are far below this threshold, which seems unusual given the default configurations.

Here are some details:

  • n8n Version: 1.44.1
  • Deployment: Docker with compose
  • Symptoms: The payloads being received are rejected despite being significantly smaller than 16MB, in fact in the tens of KB scale.
  • Configuration Attempts: I have tried adjusting the N8N_PAYLOAD_SIZE_MAX environment variable without success.

Has anyone else faced this issue or does anyone have insights on what might be causing this limitation? Any advice on configurations or settings that could potentially resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

  • n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @Jose_Raeiro

Thanks for posting here and welcome to the community! :tada:

I’m sorry to hear you’re encountering issues with your n8n instance. We have had a few users report issues with webhooks not performing correctly and are currently investigating. We’ll keep you posted on any updates from our side.

To help us, could you provide a simple workflow that demonstrates the behavior you are seeing?
Also any error logs or screenshots would help!

Thanks! :raised_hands:

Hello @ria !

I have a python script that is relaying selected JSON entries that my integration is sending to n8n.

When the payload is small, I receive a 200 OK message.

When the payload gets a bit larger, I get a 404:

Tue Jun 11 11:33:01 EDT 2024: Starting send_msg

Tue Jun 11 11:33:01 EDT 2024: HTTP error occurred: 404 Client Error: Not Found for url: - Status code: 404

In order to check if there was any related JSON parsing error, I tried adding many AAAA to a working payload, and it also fails with 404, so no formatting issues here.

Hello again @ria !

Please apologize but I’ve just noticed that the issue is probably related to some middleware (WAF) sitting between the machine making the request and the n8n instance.

You may close this issue.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Jose_Raeiro for the update! :pray: :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.