LangChain – how to pass a parameters from AI Agent to a workflow tool?

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding the workflow tool in the Langchain Chat Agent. I’m building a workflow tool that is capable of loading HTML pages for further analysis. I stumbled across certain blocks and found several tricks on how to optimize the page before sending it to LLM. Right now I don’t understand how to pass the parameters in the workflow tool. Please take a look at 2 examples.

1. First, I’m asking a question like “What are the last blog posts on blog.n8n.io?”

In the incoming node of the workflow tool I see smth like:

[{"query": 
"https://blog.n8n.io/"}]

In this case Chat Agent correctly passes the query with the url. Not as a proper url parameter, but fine. How can I make it pass a JSON with specified keys?

1. Second, when I ask to summarize a article, Agent sends some incorrect url, but that’s okay. It now sends it as a JSON with “url” key, but I didn’t specifically define this.
json
{"action": "HTTP_Request_Tool","action_input":
{"url": "https://blog.n8n.io/11-telegram-bots-to-transform-your-workflows-424d6eb6539c"}
}

for some reason such parameter call never reaches the workflow tool (maybe because it starts with ```json words? The firs node receives just empty value.

[{}]

I’m pretty much sure I’m missing something here, but I can’t figure out where to look for and which examples to check.

Once again, there Tool parameters are generated by GPT, it’s not a pre-defined tool parameter.

• n8n version: 1.18
  • Database (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): main
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: ubuntu

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @Ed_P, I am sorry you’re having trouble. I am not quite sure I can follow the description.

Can you perhaps share an example workflow where you end up with your empty dataset [{}]? Thank you!

Hi there,
I have a similar problem so I’ll send my own workflow as an example.
In the logs I see the model puts the user’s email as action_input when I send a test chat such as “please arrange a meeting, my email is [email protected]”, but then in the tool, the input is empty
Here is the example workflow :

Thanks for your comment, Clement.

As I see, you pass an empty value {{ }} via an email parameter.
Here’s an example of a Telegram bot with LanChain that utilises the same approach:

In the workflow values you need to pass a valid value (hard-coded string or an expression)

How I overcame the problem in my example: I ask GPT to pass a query string instead of JSON, in this case I can parse query parameters and extract several parameters that I need. Please take a look at the final example: AI agent that can scrape webpages | n8n workflow template