Licence question

Hi All!

I know that a lot of topics have been raised around licencing, but there is still 1 subject that I am a little confused about, so if someone could take 2 mins to explain, I would appreciate that!

The licencing page says that the below is not allowed without a licence:

• Hosting n8n and charging people money to access it.

So my question would be, there are many hosting providers out there that allows me to install n8n, but of course they are charging me for hosting, so technically they are charging me for accessing n8n. So would all those companies have licence?

In other words, if someone sells webhosting with n8n pre installed, is that a licensable activity?

Thank you!

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @ardowd,

Welcome to the community :tada:

I think that is 2 different things, if you were hosting n8n on say Digital Ocean and you charge users to use that instance of n8n you would need a license for n8n.

If you were selling hosting packages and someone installed n8n on it then you don’t need an n8n license for that.

If you were selling hosting that automatically installed n8n then I would say the value is derived substantially from n8n so it would need a license or agreement of some kind.

It is always best to chat to our license team who can be found here: [email protected]

1 Like

Thank you @Jon !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.