Licensing Question

I was taking a look at the N8n licensing structure and had a question arise. I have a side gig for IT services for local small businesses. I was specifically reading the section about what is and isn’t allowed under the license and I am having a hard time understanding where my situation would fall.

Our license restricts use to “internal business purposes”. In practice that means all use is allowed unless you are selling a product, service or module in which the value derives entirely or substantially, from n8n functionality. Here are some examples where we would consider that to be the case:

• White-labeling n8n, and offering it to your customers for money.
  • Hosting n8n and charging people money to access it.

All of the following examples are allowed under our license:

• Using n8n to sync the data you control as a company, for example from a CRM to an internal database .
  • Using n8n workflows to create backend logic for a product.
  • Creating an n8n node for your product, or any other integration between your product and n8n.
  • Providing consulting services related to n8n, for example building workflows, custom features closely connect to n8n, or code that gets executed by n8n.
  • Supporting n8n, for example by setting it up or maintaining it on an internal company server.

Basically what I intend to do, license permitting of course, is standing up an n8n server and building out workflows for local businesses needing automation assistance. The way I read the top section, that would not be allowed because the service I am selling is derived from n8n functionality, but in the section that shows “allowed usage”, it says that “Providing consulting services related to n8n, for example building workflows, custom features closely connect to n8n, or code that gets executed by n8n”.

I feel like my situation would fall under the bullet point in the allowed usage section, but I could also see my situation being an integrator and not really providing consulting services for someone already using n8n. I just wanted to make sure I was kosher before doing anything that might violate your license.

Thanks!

Hi Noah. Thanks for your post clarifying how you would like to use n8n.

It sounds like the Reseller program would be a good fit for you in this case, given that you are hosting n8n for others.

There’s a short application process to complete and once you receive email confirmation that you have been accepted, you will be permitted to use n8n. There are a few additional terms that you’ll be able to read on the link above.

Hope that helps!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.