Lost all workflows after updating

Hello!

After updating n8n I lost all workflows on which I was working last month. Sadly I haven’t exported them before.
Is there a way how I can restore them? Previously when I was updating n8n there was not problems like this and all workflows were still available.

As I see database.sqlite in .n8n folder is rewrited. Is there any way how I can restore it?

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.8.x previously → 1.3.1 now
  • **Database (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): main
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • **Operating system: Ubuntu

Did you read the Migration Guide?

To make clear. I expect the problem to be either the permissions or that the folder mount has to be changed.

Hi @jan !

Thank you for your reply.
I saw notification with migration guide after updating.
I understand that I should do backups before updating, but this time i didn’t.

Is it possible to restore workflows?
I see that existing database is rewritten :frowning:

Normally should they still be there (at least in most cases they are). Can you please post everything that is important to know about your setup. Like the docker-compose file.

Sure. Here is my docker-compose.yml

On the first short look that seems fine. Did you read and that try that part?

Hi,
I lost my workflows too after updating :frowning:

@thegabriele97 sorry to hear! Did you try what has been suggested above and in other threads? If so and none worked, please provide additional information. Thanks!

Came here because I lost my Workflows and credentials too. n8n Seemed to be fully reset, as I had to create an account and fill out the user survey. Nothing in the log about permissions.
Upgraded from 0.237.0 to latest using docker run.

I reverted to 0.237.0 to be back in business.

Did you read the V1 migration guide?

Front to back.

Since there weren’t any permission errors in the log, I think the Docker section is not applicable in this case. And since 0.237.0 is still working, I’m a bit hesitant to make changes that could break that installation too.

Hey @vco1,

Can you share how you have n8n deployed? Assuming Docker are you using anything to manage docker like Portiner or unraid?

Can you share the configuration you are currently using as well so I can take a look at it?

It’s a ‘standard’ Docker deploy. All management done through the cli. No Portainer or unraid or anything like that. Running on Debian Bookworm.

docker run -d \
  --name n8n \
  -p 5678:5678 \
  -e TZ="Timezone/Redacted" \
  --env-file /.n8n.env \
  -v ~/.n8n:/root/.n8n \
  --restart unless-stopped \
  n8nio/n8n:latest

Hey @vco1,

So it could be that you need to change…

-v ~/.n8n:/root/.n8n
to
-v ~/.n8n:/home/node/.n8n

from v1 of n8n we use the node user rather than root so won’t be looking in the /root/.n8n path for the database. Assuming your ~/.n8n folder is still intact locally and you are performing the docker run command as the user you originally did this should sort everything out for you.

@Jon ,

Sorry for the late reply. Had some changing priorities.
The proposed change did the trick. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.