Mac Desktop App (1.5.0) Can’t be opened

Describe the issue/error/question: I’m trying to upgrade the Mac desktop app from 1.4.0 → 1.5.0. I downloaded the new version, unzipped it, dropped in the Applications folder, double clicked to launch the app, and got an error message that the app can’t be opened. 1.4.0 still works fine.

What is the error message (if any)? The application “n8n.app” can’t be opened.

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:**1.5.0
  • **Database you’re using (default: SQLite):**SQLite
  • **Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:**Not sure
  • **Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:**Mac Desktop App, osx Monterey 12.4, MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Hi @terpsfreak, I am so sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately I am not a Mac person so this is a bit tricky for me :frowning:

In a first step, could you verify whether you’re able to run more recent n8n versions in general? Assuming you have docker installed, you could try running the below command in a terminal?

docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v ~/.n8n:/home/node/.n8n n8nio/n8n:0.182.0

This should start an n8n instance running the latest version 0.182.0.

Hi @MutedJam , thanks for getting back to me. I’m using the desktop app with the tunnel and don’t have a docker image installed. Should I go ahead and run a docker image? If so, how do I get the desktop app to point to it? It’s not a problem to start running docker, but want to make sure I don’t lose any of my existing workflows. Thanks!

Hey @terpsfreak,

I just gave it a go on my Mac and I was able to upgrade and run the latest release, Can you send a screenshop of the error?

Could you also open a terminal and run /Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/n8n this will start it manually and you should see some console output this may show something useful.

Here’s screenshots of the app and the error:

I ran the above in the terminal and got this:
/Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/n8n
zsh: operation not permitted: /Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/n8n

Could this be a permissions issue?

It could be, In your terminal can you run

ls -la /Applications/ | grep n8n

You should get something like this back, You will have more entries but as long as the permissions there look the same you should be ok.

May also be handy to see if the n8n binary inside is all good with ls -la /Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/.

It could be worth downloading and extracting again as well to see if that helps as well.

Hi @Jon , I ran the terminal command and it returned this:
ls -la /Applications/ | grep n8n
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davidsouth staff 96 Jun 8 10:59 n8n.app
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davidsouth staff 96 Mar 2 12:51 n8n_1_3.app
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 davidsouth staff 96 Apr 26 16:36 n8n_1_4.app

I did re-download and re-extract but no change. I also checked my logs of the launch. Let me know if this is helpful:

lsd: Non-fatal error enumerating at , continuing: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 “The file “PlugIns” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.” UserInfo={NSURL=PlugIns/ – file:///Applications/n8n.app/Contents/, NSFilePath=/Applications/n8n.app/Contents/PlugIns, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fec8701a780 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory”}}

lsd: - 45683955: Checking whether application is managed at file:///Applications/n8n.app//io.n8n.desktop

lsd: io.n8n.desktop:5:5:1:1:Building bundle record for app

lsd: io.n8n.desktop:5:5:2:1:Built bundle record for app

lsd: io.n8n.desktop:5:4:2:1:_LSServerRegisterItemInfo result = 0

dmd: Received xpc stream event (distributed notification matching) with name: com.apple.LaunchServices.applicationRegistered user info: {
CFBundleDisplayName = n8n;
bundleIDs = (
“io.n8n.desktop”
);
isPlaceholder = 0;
}

runningboardd: Launch request for app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)> is using uid 501 (divined from auid 501 euid 501)

runningboardd: Acquiring assertion targeting app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)> from originator [daemon<com.apple.Finder(501)>:514] with description <RBSAssertionDescriptor| “LS launch io.n8n.desktop” ID:168-514-438753 target:app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)> attributes:[
<RBSDomainAttribute| domain:“com.apple.launchservicesd” name:“LaunchRoleUserInteractive” sourceEnvironment:“(null)”>
]>

runningboardd: Assertion 168-514-438753 (target:app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)>) will be created as active

runningboardd: Executing launch request for app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)> (LS launch io.n8n.desktop)

runningboardd: Creating and launching job for: app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)>

runningboardd: _mutateContextIfNeeded called for io.n8n.desktop

runningboardd: Invalidating assertion 168-514-438753 (target:app<application.io.n8n.desktop.132401877.132402121(501)>) from originator [daemon<com.apple.Finder(501)>:514]

kernel: exec of /Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/n8n denied since it was quarantined by com.apple.WebKit.Networking and created without user consent, qtn-flags was 0x00000086

Finder: LAUNCH: RBSLaunchRequest FAILURE io.n8n.desktop 0x0-0x134134 failed with error Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 “Launch failed.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b7b810 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 “Operation not permitted” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}

Finder: LAUNCH: Runningboard launch of io.n8n.desktop returned RBSRequestErrorFailed, error Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 “Launch failed.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b7b810 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 “Operation not permitted” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}, so returning -10810

Finder: LAUNCH: request execute thru runningboard of 0x0-0x134134 io.n8n.desktop/ failed with error=Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-10810 “kLSUnknownErr: Unexpected internal error” UserInfo={_LSFunction=_LSLaunchWithRunningboard, _LSLine=2732, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b795f0 {Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 “Launch failed.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b7b810 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 “Operation not permitted” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}}}

Finder: LAUNCH: request execute thru runningboard of 0x0-0x134134 io.n8n.desktop/ failed with error=Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-10810 “kLSUnknownErr: Unexpected internal error” UserInfo={_LSFunction=_LSLaunchWithRunningboard, _LSLine=2732, NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b795f0 {Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 “Launch failed.” UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x600001b7b810 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 “Operation not permitted” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}}}

CoreServicesUIAgent: handle LS launch error: {\n Action = oapp;\n AppMimimumSystemVersion = “10.11”;\n AppPath = “/Applications/n8n.app”;\n ErrorCode = “-10810”;\n}

mDNSResponder: Received Goodbye packet for cached record - name: <mask.hash: ‘EAN8nmjf7bSzS/q3jufJYA==’>, type: TXT, last time received: 2022-06-15 12:21:06.700-0400, interface: en0, source address: <mask.hash: ‘IO6W7vgYWpeJO2PUXoaMQw==’>, RDATA domain if PTR: <mask.hash: (null)>

mDNSResponder: mDNSCoreReceiveNoUnicastAnswers: Removing expired record<mask.hash: 'QLgnmwUn8NJ5E2zkWeVx3A==‘>

Hope this helps! Thank you!!

@Jon @MutedJam any thoughts on what’s going on with the latest Mac app?

I am afraid, I don’t have a clue :frowning:

exec of /Applications/n8n.app/Contents/MacOS/n8n denied since it was quarantined by com.apple.WebKit.Networking and created without user consent

This seems to be the problem, but I am not at all familiar with com.apple.WebKit.Networking which seems to refer to the Safari browser engine. Just wondering, would the behavior change if you download n8n via another browser like Chrome?

@ivov, could you perhaps also take a look at this? Thank you :pray:

Did you get any prompt when you tried to open it the first time?

Can you run xattr /Applications/n8n.app and let me know what the output is?

A new desktop version 1.6.0 was released on June 15. If you can please test again with the latest.

https://downloads.n8n.io/file/n8n-downloads/n8n-mac.zip

Hi @Jon , sorry for the delayed response. I ran it and here’s what I got:

xattr /Applications/n8n.app
com.apple.quarantine

I never considered it might be the browser that I used to download the .zip file, since that wouldn’t affect what’s in the .zip file? I’ve been using SigmaOS as my default browser, so maybe? I downloaded 1.6.0 using Chrome and was able to launch the app! Thanks for the support @Jon @MutedJam and @ivov - though still puzzled by why macos quarantined 1.5.0?

1 Like

I am also a bit puzzled as to why it quarantined it, I remember windows doing odd stuff with zip files when you downloaded them and it would mark them as blocked which would ruin the permissions inside but I have never seen it on MacOS before and more annoyingly I was not able to reproduce it.

I might try with Sigma and see if that changes anything.

Quick update: The issue has to be SigmaOS. Today, I tried to install the latest MacOS Docker.app (.dmg) and the app wouldn’t launch. I downloaded it using Firefox and no issues. Had the same issue this evening with a .pem file, similarly resolved. I’ve reached out to the SigmaOS devs with the issue. I’ll let you know what I find out.

2 Likes

I recommend checking SIP.

If SIP is set to Permissive then in some situations apps will fail to launch and there will be no visual error message other than cryptic console logs. SIP needs to be on Full or Reduced.

1 Like

Hi @baflo , sorry, but I’m just seeing this. Here’s the gmail and gcal workflows I’ve created. The Gcal isn’t completed yet, but I did have it running without the “If Node."

Gmail:

Gcal: