Multiple tools to make devices and apps exchange data more efficiently

Over the last 10 years I have tried to automate my life as good as possible. And of course no tool was able to handle it all. I always needed multiple apps and devices. This caused one big problem for me: Exchanging data between those systems efficiently without too much overhead (aka additional tools) was basically impossible.

That’s why I developed a few simple tools that can act as helpers between those individual components. I published them on GitHub and tried to document them as detailed as possible. They are free to use and only require a common web server with PHP support to run. I’d be happy if they would help others as well:

AnyState

AnyState is a lightweight tool to easily store, update and retrieve values (like texts, numbers or arrays) in a JSON file.

Possible use cases

• Checkin at work using iOS shortcut, use AnyState to set working status to true, add timestamp to Google Sheet via n8n
  • Get cards from Trello board via n8n, store their attributes with AnyState, use a custom dashboard in your office to display Trello board statistics
  • Reduce API calls by caching data within AnyState
  • Monitor and visualize real-time data from sensors or IoT devices (like temperature, humidity, motion detection)

Features

• Save keys and values (via POST method)
  • Get single value for specific key (via GET parameter)
  • Get timestamp for specific key (via GET parameter)
  • Limit maximum storage time for keys (allows keys to expire)
  • Preview keys and values in browser

AnyLog

AnyLog is a lightweight tool to easily log all kinds of values (like texts or numbers) into a JSON file.

Possible use cases

• Checkin at work using iOS shortcut, use AnyLog to log user and office location, create statistics based on log entries and save them to Google Sheet with n8n
  • As backlog: Take supplies from your food storage, use AnyLog to log what you’ve taken, add new items to specific grocery lists via n8n
  • Debugging, troubleshooting, error tracking
  • As audit trail

Features

• Save keys and values (via POST method)
  • Automatically assigns GUID to each log entry
  • Delete individual log entries
  • Limit maximum log entries
  • Preview log entries in browser

AFreminders

AFreminders is a tool for setting up recurring reminders that can be accessed via a single RSS feed. It works great with services that allow RSS feeds as triggers to execute actions.

Possible use cases

• Stay connected with loved ones who live far away by scheduling regular phone calls
  • Incorporate mindfulness into your weekly routine by planning spa days at regular intervals
  • Create a meal plan to stay organized and make healthier food choices
  • Maintain a consistent workout schedule by setting reminders for every second day
  • Ensure you never miss taking your medication with automated reminders

Features

• Available in German (default language) and English
  • Manage reminders via responsive backend interface
  • Start/restart/stop reminders via GET parameters
  • Add reminders to groups for better organization
  • Mark reminders to automatically shift to the next day when missed
  • Saves data to JSON file

AFcal

AFcal is a tool for setting up monthly and yearly reminders that can be accessed via a single RSS feed. It works great with services that allow RSS feeds as triggers to execute recurring actions.

Possible use cases

• Use as trigger for creating a card on a kanban board for manual NAS backups
  • Low-priority tasks at home (like cleaning your washing machine filter every January 1st and June 1st)
  • Reminders for manually backing up family photos to an external drive
  • Quarterly meetings with your accountant to keep your business running smoothly

Features

• Available in German (default language) and English
  • Manage reminders via responsive backend interface
  • Enable/disable reminders via GET parameters
  • Add reminders to groups for better organization
  • Saves data to JSON file
2 Likes