N8N benchmarking throughput - max 30 req/s?

I’m doing some performance testing on N8N to find out what the limits are.

I’m running N8N in queue mode on a Kubernetes (GKE) with 2 workers and 2 webhook instances. Response times seem to be doing extremely well up until 30 requests / s (50ms response time). From there response time starts aggregating upwards. I tried increasing the amount of workers (and concurrency)/webhooks, but this doesn’t seem to decrease the speed of response time aggregation. I’m using a GKE provided ingress. The trigger is a simple GET Webhook.

The reason why I’m reaching out is to find out what is causing this increase in latency, and if there’s a way to overcome it. It’s purely from theoretical interests to understand up until where n8n can be considered to be a viable solution for integration.

I’ve benchmarked against edge functions to create a performance baseline for the api performance testing tool I’m using (apiDog), and I can confirm there’s no latency on their side.

See benchmark underneath.

Happy to hear any thoughts on the matter.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Following up with

• **n8n version:1.24.1
  • **Database (default: SQLite):Postgres
  • **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):-
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):Kubernetes
  • **Operating system:-
1 Like

Hi @Cees_de_Kort, are you storing execution data for your benchmark workflow? If so, the latency might come down to the increased database load. In a first step you could disable storing execution data for the workflow in question and verify if this has an impact.

Right observation, database was throthling on CPU usage. Hitting 90 Req/s now, everything is scaling well.

2 Likes

Sweet, thanks for confirming!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.