starting n8n produces the following error:

n8n_1 | Editor is now accessible via:
n8n_1 | http://localhost:5678/
n8n_1 | /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:194
n8n_1 | throw Error(‘Invalid UTF-8 detected’);
n8n_1 | ^
n8n_1 |
n8n_1 | Error: Invalid UTF-8 detected
n8n_1 | at decodeSymbol (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:194:9)
n8n_1 | at Object.utf8decode [as decode] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:206:17)
n8n_1 | at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/imap-simple/lib/imapSimple.js:222:50
n8n_1 | at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)

and stops

What is the error message (if any)?

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:194
n8n_1 | throw Error(‘Invalid UTF-8 detected’);

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:n8nio/n8n:latest
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:

Hi @Rand_Kepp, I am sorry for the trouble. Perhaps you can share a few more details on how to reproduce this problem? When did you last pull the n8n image? Are you also getting this problem with a set version such as n8nio/n8n:0.209.0? Does this depend on a specific workflow being active?

1 Like

Image has been pulled quite a while ago n8nio/n8n:latest 551.2 MB 2022-10-28 17:38:10
After a restart n8n doies not start up any more, failing with the message i posted above.
The logs do not tell me more than I see there / no idea why it fails but probably bnecause of some workflow,

When I update to version 0.209.0 I get this:
n8n_1 | Editor is now accessible via:
n8n_1 | http://localhost:5678/
n8n_1 | This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). The promise rejected with the reason:
n8n_1 | Error: Invalid UTF-8 detected
n8n_1 | at decodeSymbol (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:194:9)
n8n_1 | at Object.utf8decode [as decode] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/utf8/utf8.js:206:17)
n8n_1 | at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/imap-simple/lib/imapSimple.js:222:50
n8n_1 | at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)

Good thing is, n8n now starts again, hurray!!! :slight_smile: - so thanks for that tipp.
But I do not know where the error originates :-/
Any hints what I could do to find that?

I am glad to hear thinks are working again, but I am afraid I do not know what has caused this problem in the first place. I’d first need to be able to reproduce this problem to fully understand it. Simply running n8n via docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 n8nio/n8n:0.209.0 does lead to the error you have shared so I suspect it might be related to specific data that only exists on your end.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.