N8N ProxMox - Problem setting up owner Request failed with status code 401

Description

I have installed N8N on ProxMox using the script available from Proxmox VE Helper-Scripts | Scripts for Streamlining Your Homelab with Proxmox VE using the following command bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/ct/n8n.sh)”

The installation goes well and was completed without error until I go to the configuration URL of http://192.168.1.244:5678/setup. I then get the following error

Error Message
Problem setting up owner Request failed with status code 401*

Things I’ve Tried
Updated to the latest version
User management reset
N8N_SECURE_COOKIE=false

The only posts I can find relating to this advising the above and unfortunately nothing worked.

Any help appreciated.

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:I assume the latest version as of today as I ran the update command
  • **Database (default: SQLite):SQLite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):ProxMox as above

I have the same issue.

I had an instance running with the same script, everything worked fine, until I got some errors i was unable to clear out.

No big deal I thought, and installed a new instance using the same scipt. Getting the same problem. Unable to create a new user.
Problem setting up owner Request failed with status code 401*

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:I assume the latest version as of today as I ran the update command
  • **Database (default: SQLite):SQLite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):ProxMox as above, LXC on Debian 12

hello @Steven_Smith

Are you sure the cookie is set?

As of now, you have two options to mitigate the issue with 401 error:

1. use HTTPS
  2. set the cookie

Hi I used the command “export N8N_SECURE_COOKIE=false” could be the wrong command as i am no expert in this. However my prompt returned with no error.

I contacted the guy on github who made the script. He added some inputs, and it’s working now.

1 Like

Excellent news, thanks for this. It now works.

I would not recommend the approach taken as it will lower the security if you do decide to use n8n over HTTPS in the future.

It also looks like the script uses npm instead of docker so it is possible that you will run into other issues as it doesn’t install or check for the OS packages we use in the recommended Docker image.

Right now I’m using it inside my own network. But have set ut up to pull some files from OneDrive and Excel.

Would it be better to install Docker on the Proxmox, and then install n8n on that?

Hey @rosk,

That is what I would do but for now it looks ok, If you decide to make it available to the outside world in the future that is when I would change it.

New version [email protected] got released which includes the GitHub PR 8906.