N8N Respond to Webhook Not Working Properly

I’m triggering workflow with webhook which requires response at the end of automation.

Even though I have mentioned JSON and typed JSON in the Response Body, it is ignoring it and sending result of previous node as webhook response.

You can see screenshot where is Webhook response is output of previous node (Google Sheets) & not webhook.

(I’m not sure how safe it is to share workflow here as it has API keys, but can anyone please troubleshoot why I can’t send this JSON as webhook response?

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @cloudifybiz

Thanks for posting here and welcome to the community! :cake:

The Respond to Webhook node is designed to respond to the webhook. By design, it doesn’t actually show you the output in the panel. I know this can be a bit misleading, but the rationale is that the response it sends is normally not useful for the rest of the workflow…

I’ve used Postman to test the general behavior and it’s receiving my JSON response just fine:

Here my test setup:

Can you share a bit more about how you’re testing it?
Also, which version are you on?

Hey Ria, thank you!!! I checked through postman as well and its working fine.

Though it is working, I would love to know why N8N can’t simply show the actual response if we are using “Respond to Webhook” node.

Most tools like vapi.ai handle webhooks in backend so we can’t see response anywhere directly, in that case it would be helpful to see webhook response in N8N. This webhook response is important as it’ll contain “server response” in specific JSON format for rest of call to continue in vapi.ai. Without seeing that response we can’t troubleshoot the automation, making me use Make.com

if Make.com shows us webhook response I hope N8N can as well. Requesting you to consider it. Thank you!