New Airtabel Update Node - How to define the target record ID?

The new version of the Airtable node does not appear to accommodate a record ID variable in order to define the target record. The online documentation does not shed any light on how one is supposed to do this. I’m probably missing something very simple btu I’ve spent long enough trying to figure it out without making progress and now I’m reaching out to the n8n community for support!

See screenshots below of the old and new airtable node with missing id field:

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

I’m running version 1.32.2 using n8n Cloud

Hi @Felix_is_stuck
and welcome back to the community :wave:

After you set the Base and Table in the fields (even with expressions) you will be able to manually set the field you want to use to select the record to update (parameter “Columns to Match On”).

So if you want to match the record based on its ID you should set "ID in “Columns to Match On”, and set the parameter “Values to Update > id (using to match)” with an expression for the record ID (e.g. {{ $json.id }}).

Example image:

Example workflow:

Let me know if this helps

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply and pointing me in the right direction - unfortunately that option isn’t working for me, which I’m guessing is due to the permissions of my access token.

It does seem a little bizarre that I can’t target a field that I already know exists in the table.

Just wanted to loop back to this thread and share that I was able to update the scope on my Airtable Access Token to include schema reads and this now works as expected. Thanks for the support!

1 Like

That’s great @Felix_is_stuck thanks for sharing

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.