Node runs several times even though the option "Execute Once" is selected

Describe the problem

I have developed a workflow that sends me a summary in the morning. To do this, I collect information from my calendars, such as birthdays (upper flow).
I also collect information about the weather for the day (lower flow).
I have OpenAI summarise the collected data and send me the info.
Unfortunately, the whole workflow runs through several times (see screenshot), although I have selected the option “Execute Once” in all nodes.
Of course, this should not happen. Have I overlooked something or do I have to change something?

Screenshot

Please share your workflow

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.236.2
  • Database: postgresql
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):****
  • Running n8n via: Docker
  • Operating system: Debian

Hi @niefuend, the Execute Once options would cause a node to execute only once whenever it runs (rather than once for every single item it receives). You can see this in a workflow like below:

The top node (without Execute Once) would run for all five items, but the bottom one (with ExAecute Once) will only run for the first item:

However, a node would still run multiple times if it has multiple different incoming branches like in your example. In this case you would want to use Merge nodes in front of your “Execute Once” node which can help you merge two branches into a single one.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.