Paging Discord Channel messages

Issue:

Hey yall, I’ve been trying to figure this out today a few different ways but cant seem to get it to work. I need to pull down all the messages in a certain discord channel and the API has a 100 item page-limit. I tried both a custom workflow using the HTTP module and some pagination looping to no avail (it’s close, just not perfect, linked below) as well as using the prebuilt discord node but when I select “Get Many” it throws a rate-limit error.

Would love some feedback on this on how I can paginate through all the pages of returned messages, thanks!

What is the error message (if any)?

ERROR: You are being rate limited.

Please share your workflow

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.20.0
  • Database (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): own, main
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): DigitalOcean Docker 20.10.21
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 22.04

Hi @datalytyks, this sounds like you just have to add additional wait times between each request. Discord will communicate the rate limits through special headers (discord-api-docs/docs/topics/Rate_Limits.md at main · discord/discord-api-docs · GitHub) so you’d have to evaluate these in your workflow.

I think something like below should do the job:

(I’ve created this example using [email protected], so you might need to update your n8n instance before being able to import this workflow).

Hope this helps!