Performance Problem

Describe the problem/error/question

I have a workflow where each node needs to handle some amount of data (max. 12.000 items). After I execute the workflow the user interaction becomes really slow. The duration of the execution is ok (1:40 minutes). But afterwards opening a node takes 8 seconds. When I type something inside a node the characters are shown with 5 seconds delay. Selecting several nodes with the mouse takes again many seconds. Apparently this has to do with the amount of data handled. Other workflows do not have this issue. On the other handside 12.000 items is not really a big number.

What is the error message (if any)?

none

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: Desktop app for Windows 1.7.0
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system: Windows 11
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.70 GHz
  • Systemtype: 64 Bit
  • Taskmanager: does not reach capacity limit regarding processor and RAM. There is still buffer.

12k items is actually a big number esp if you have many nodes and if you run them manually. After all, do all of the items end up in the browser memory. Running things via the UI was meant for development and debugging and not production use. So I advise you to rather start the workflow via a Cron-Node or Webhook-Node in production mode so that it runs in the background and does not have to send all of the data to the browser. Is also much less work for the backend as it does not have to additionally also stringify all the data to push it to the frontend and so potentially double the memory required in the backend as well.

Jan, thanks for your reply. In production mode I am using the Cron-Node. There is no issue there, performance is fine. But for development purpose I need to run this via the UI with the entire data in order to find bugs with specific data entries. So what happens is that development becomes very slow in this case.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.