Problem with Google Ads Authentication - Server timing out - Since update to 1.18.1

Hi guys,

I’m having an issue authenticating with google Ads since I upgraded, earlier today, to N8N 1.18.1.

I fill out the fields in the credentials field as below:

I checked multiple times, and I’m sure these are correct.

After clicking the sign-in with google button, I choose my account (same one I generated the client ID and secret, as well as the developer token). And it sends me to the permissions page, as below:

After I press “Allow” (which is Permitir in the image), it loads forever and then times out.

I have several other google credentials with the same client ID and Secret, and they seem to be working fine (I tested google sheets and it worked fine). I haven’t tried connecting to any other google node since upgraded to version 1.0.

I tried looking at the migration documentation, but didn’t find anything that I thought could be connected to the problem.

Could this be related to the migration to version 1.0 (I’m currently at 1.18.1 and this was the first version above 1.0 that I upgraded to)?

Describe the problem/error/question

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

  • n8n version: 1.18.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): PostgreSQL
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): I’m not sure, as I didn’t implement myself.
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) x64

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

  • n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Sorry. Forgot to add the information.

Information on your n8n setup

  • n8n version: 1.18.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): PostgreSQL
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): I’m not sure, as I didn’t implement myself.
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) x64

Hi @Daniel_Barra, I am sorry you’re having trouble. Just to confirm, are you setting the WEBHOOK_URL value to the public domain name of your n8n instance? This environment variable will not only determine the public webhook URLs (as its name might suggest) but also the OAuth2 redirect target, so would be relevant in this context.

Hi @MutedJam !

Thank you very much for the response!
I’m thinking it does have something to do with the environment variables.
As I did not implement them myself, I’m reaching out to a technical partner to help me dig into this.

I’m getting on many workflows a DNS error. It doesn’t happen on all executions.

The error is described below:

ERROR: The DNS server returned an error, perhaps the server is offline

getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN www.googleapis.com

Could this also be related to the environment variables?
If so, for sure it’s related, as these are separate events.

I’ll update this topic soon.

Hi @Daniel_Barra, you’re quite right, this does not appear to be related to your environment variables but related to your local network. Is there a chance your DNS resolver is simply under a high load because it’s receiving too many requests or is generally unreliable? I had this with my former ISP until they just gave up on running one themselves and started using Google’s DNS server.

Hi Tom!

Sorry for the late reply.

I found out that this actually did not relate to the DNS issue. They were separate problems.
This issue was related to not editing the WEBHOOK_URL parameter in the .env file, that was still using WEBHOOK_TUNNEL_URL and therefore not removing the port from the webhook URL, which cause a lot of problems. It has been deeply discussed in other threads, so I’ll just leave it at that. Fixed that part and the Google ads authentication worked as a charm.

Have been looking into the DNS problem since then, and it does appear to be related to my current DNS provider for this domain, Cloudfare.

I’ll post back here when I find the fix, or if I decide to just change providers. That isn’t that easy because there are other applications that use the same domain.

Thanks for all the help!