Problems with Filemaker node

Dear Community,

I am running a self hosted n8n and a self hosted filemaker instance.

i could use this curl command to authenticate towards my filemaker database, that works fine.
But i can not get n8n work, i have tried the dedicated FilemakerNode or Http request neither of this.

curl --insecure --location --request POST ‘https://{ServerAddress}/fmi/data/v1/databases/{DatabaseName}/sessions’
–header ‘Content-Type: application/json’
–header ‘Authorization: Basic {Base64EncodedLogin}’
–data ‘’

If i try to import the curl commands, it says format is invlaid…

Can you give me any hint what can be done ?
Maybe the fact that i use Base64 encoded login and n8n only asks for plan login details is the problem?

n8n version: 0.210.2
Filemaker version:19.4.2.204 running filemaker on macOS

Hey @rhovath94,

Welcome to the community :tada:

Do you get any error messages?

ERROR: Login fail with the filemaker node

(if i take an “execute command” node and copy paste the curl into that, is also works. but i have no idea how to continue from there to continue getting records out of filemaker)

Hey @rhovath94,

So it looks like in n8n you need to put the username and password we then connect to Filemaker to get the token.

In the node for the Host you would also need to put just the Server Address not the protocol but the bit that may really cause an issue is if you are using a self signed certificate as it looks like we don’t support that option for the Filemaker node.

well, i have tried with the user name and pass of course did not work and i am certain that i using the correct ones as i have generated the Base64 out of those.
Sefl signed ssl you mean? Can not you put the bypass ssl option to filemaker node aswell like you have it in the http reuqest one?
Thanks

Richard

@rhovath94 yes self signed SSL, We could add the option in but I am not sure when that would be. I have a few bits to catch up on today but I can see if I can fit it in at some point this week.

awsome Jon, thank you very much for your anwsers!

actually i have an instance in production with proper SSL, and that one doesen’t work either. i am not sure the ssl is the problem, i will keep on trying and look for a solution…

Hey @rhovath94,

It could just be that the credentials are wrong which would be unusual, Is your Filemaker instance available over the web? Like could you DM me the address host, database and some test credentials?

Hi,

Unfortunately the Filemaker databases are not availble online.
Well, i use the same credentials with curl in a base64encoded format and it works, I have validated and checked multiple times.
So perhaps something wrong with the way that FileMaker node encoding the credentials?

We are actually quite happy with n8n, but this is a future we would require to work as the FM database is a core of our operations, We would be happy to move to your subscripton based product if we can make this work in the test environmen.

Hey @rhovath94,

Can you share the full text from the output of the Filemaker or HTTP Request node?

response with execute command node:
[
{
“exitCode”:
“stderr”:
“% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:01 --:–:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:02 --:–:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:03 --:–:-- 0 100 118 100 118 0 0 27 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:–:-- 27”,
“stdout”:
“{“response”:{“token”:“1d1202971e2bda4574361c7e20bc00e27e2210e9111143f8f108”},“messages”:[{“code”:“0”,“message”:“OK”}]}”
}
]
with the FM node i get a login fail
Stack

NodeOperationError: Login fail
    at Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/FileMaker/FileMaker.node.js:622:19)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at Workflow.runNode (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Workflow.js:659:28)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:585:53

Perfect, So that is FileMaker rejecting the credentials. Without testing it is hard to say what it is not happy with. You are just using the username and password for the user and not trying to do anything else with them right?

With the curl command i use Base64 encoded command.
With the Filemaker node is just plain username and password ,yes.

Hey @rhovath94,

That is very strange, Have you checked the FileMaker logs to see why it thinks the credentials are not correct?

I see the login from the Curl command in the log, but from the Filemaker node no realted login/error entry shows up.
I have tried to give various parameters for the Filemaker node to reach the server like various url formats, or using ip, double checked the database name, all seems correct.

Hey @rhovath94,

I would assume the request is making it as Filemaker is saying it can’t login, Are you using a self signed certificate (if going over https)?

I have 2 server instances one with self signed and on provided by authority.
The case i have copied is from the self-signed one. I have tried http and https aswell and both server instance

Hey @rhovath94,

Does the instance with a signed certificate work? Looking at the code we don’t support self signed certs for the authentication process of FileMaker so that is potentially one part of the issue.

Hi, I have imported an SSL aquired from DigiCert, and i am still getting a LoginFail error.
The login attempt doesen’t show up at the log of the server.
and it still does work with curl