Question re: "Execute Workflow" node

Does a workflow stop/pause while it’s waiting for a response from the “Execute Workflow” node?

Example scenario:

Workflow has 5 steps. “Execute Workflow” node is step 3. Will the workflow wait for the response from the “Execute Workflow” node before moving on to step 4 and 5?

I don’t want to wait for a response, in my use case. I just want the data to be sent via the Execute Workflow node to the workflow that it triggers, then have the original/parent workflow move on to the next nodes, while the workflow called by “Execute Workflow” goes off and does it’s thing.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Yes.

In that case, you need to use a HTTP node + Webhook node combination. Webhook node will need to be set to ‘Respond immediately’.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for clarifying @shrey-42!

Ahhhhh I have a follow up question:

What creates more load for N8N - starting a new workflow with the webhook node, or keeping the current workflow open/running, and starting a child workflow via the “Execute Webhook” node, and waiting for it to run & respond?

I ask because I am getting 502 errors or no responses from time to time when using the Webhook trigger with N8N (often enough for it to be a hinderance)… but I also find that longer running workflows (as would be required if I use the “Execute Workflow” node, because it would be waiting for that workflow to finish before moving on) tend to slow the whole of N8N down, impacting other workflows that happen to be running at the same time.

So I’m just trying to make things as efficient as possible. From what I understand, it can be smoother / create less load on N8N overall to break up larger workflows into a few smaller workflows.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.