I’m trying to take a sitemap_index.xml file, download each of the gzipped references in that file, decompress them, then turn them into tabular data for uploading to a spreadsheet or some system like that.
We are working on n8n cloud so there is a bit of ambiguousness on what applies in the documentation. I’m able to get the gzipped files downloaded and at that step it seems straightforward that I have easy access to the binary data. However, after the decompression step, things get murky. Inspecting the objects and the instructions of the read binary file step makes it difficult to understand what is expected.
Things I’ve tried:
- reading the files with patterns like
- referencing non-cloud examples of people reading files and trying to use similar paths as they do
- reading the files by the filename on the binary objects output from the decompression step
I just don’t understand why:
- the decompression step has no direct reference to the files decompressed
- the read binary file node has no usable output when you execute it
- the behavior of these nodes just don’t seem aligned with the behavior of every other type of n8n node i’ve used for getting or manipulating data. IMO, each node that outputs something should have everything needed to use that data in one of the likely nodes you’d use as a next step
- there is no documentation specific to the cloud service about these aspects
There is zero output, which is the problem. How does the read binary files node have no useful information that comes out of it? Why isn’t there some kind of file browser type component if we are really having to read the files from some kind of disk?
- n8n version: 1.7.1
- Database (default: SQLite): NA
- n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
- Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): cloud
- Operating system: NA