Salesforce connector in cloud hosted environment missing fields to fill in Consumer Key and the Consumer Secret for OAuth2 connection

Our client is using a Connected app on Salesforce that we need to us in an n8n flow. We only have the Consumer key and Consumer secret to establish the connection and don’t have access to username/password information.
When trying out the Salesforce node in n8n cloud hosted the documentation states that we need to “Copy the displayed Consumer Key and the Consumer Secret and use these with your Salesforce OAuth2 API credentials in n8n.” However, these fields are not present in their cloud hosted instance of n8n:

On our own self-hosted instance of n8n these fields are present. Were they perhaps removed in one of the updates?

I did manage to make a workaround by using the generic OAuth2 in the HTTP node. Just wondering why I was not able to establish the connection through the Salesforce node itself

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

@Erhan_Ozturk , if I’m not mistaken you do not need Consumer Key and the Consumer Secret on n8n Cloud. You will need those, however, when self-hosting. See the note on that document.

2 Likes

You got it, So for some OAuth based services on cloud we handle this so you just have to connect your account and you will be good to go.

1 Like

@Jon @ihortom Thanks for responding. The issue I was facing was because of the fact that we don’t have an account that we are able to use to setup the connection. We’ve only got the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret.
So if I understand correctly we won’t be able to use the SalesForce node and should continue to use the HTTP node as that is currently working for us.

Hey @Erhan_Ozturk,

Are you not authenticating as a user? Even on self hosted if you fill out the fields you are asked to connect to salesforce and authenticate as a user then we store the oauth tokens for future authentication. On cloud the process is the same but we manage the application so you just need to connect and you are good to go

@Jon Our client only provided us with the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret. They don’t have any user credentials available for us to make the connection with. Their connected app has been setup by a third party which I assume provided them with the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret that I’m using currently.
I do understand now how the authentication process works on the cloud version of n8n and we are able to continue our work by using the HTTP node so I’d like to thank you for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.