Sending emails via Gmail

I’ve setup an application specific password for Gmail. I then setup a mail node. When I run the node I am getting this (slightly redacted) output

[
  {
    "accepted": [
    "[email protected]"
  ],
  "rejected": [
  ],
  "envelopeTime": 238,
  "messageTime": 1034,
  "messageSize": 261,
  "response": "250 2.0.0 OK 1573149959 o189sm3854220wmo.23 - gsmtp",
  "envelope": {
    "from": "[email protected]",
    "to": [
      "[email protected]"
    ]
  },
  "messageId": "<[email protected]>"
  }
]

but the mail never arrives. I am a little puzzled.
To me this reads as if the mail was accepted just fine.
Is there any scenario where this still could be a n8n problem?

BTW: I don’t get the access vs no access selection on the credentials - but that cannot be related, can it?

Very strange. Yes, definitely sounds like it got accepted. Can you see the email in “Mails sent” at Gmail? Did you try a different “to” address? Maybe it does not get accepted for some reason.

Also strange that it does not display you the selection where you can give access to credentials. Anyhow that can not be the problem because if the node would not have access you would get an error message saying exactly that.

I am not sure what is going on. Using a different target address I can confirm it’s at least not a direct problem with n8n. Other addresses work OK. So the messages must be refused on another level. I don’t see anything in the spam folder though. Very odd. Will continue testing.

“Don’t get” was meant as in I don’t understand the UI for the “access”.

Ah, at least kind of glad to hear that it is not n8n related :wink:

The UI for the access simply defines which nodes are allowed to access the credentials and which ones not.
The reason that exists is that in the future there will probably also be other nodes people create which are not under the control of n8n. So we will not be able to see and check if they do any shady stuff. If you would use such a node that claims to do X and no check would be in place it could maybe still do X but it could also access all your credentials (and send them to the node creator) and you would not even be aware of that. So to make sure that this does not happen did I create it. That you have to specifically give nodes access before they are allowed to access credentials.

Ah, at least kind of glad to hear that it is not n8n related

:wink:

About the UI:

It was clear one I made the browser wider. But the arrows should turn 90 degrees and flow in between in the smaller break point.

The checkboxes before “Access” and “No Access” are confusing - although I now understand what they are just an “select all”.

Just some hopefully constructive feedback.
Back to hunting down the mail problem.

@tcurdt Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will add it to my to-do list.