Sending Slack messages as user?

While user accounts are treated as unique, the Blocks Kit Builder allows for the objective to be accomplished, seamlessly. Unless Slack has some kind of Super-Admin access over all the workspaces and can internally assign a token then I don’t see how it is not possible to reproduce the same behavior.

The Email to Channel option was also considered. A few drawbacks with it:

• The message appears in a “block” that can be deployed. Look and feel is very “attachment” and certainly not engaging.
  • Not all workspaces support the feature (Free one sure doesn’t, I just tested with one I am involved with)
  • You can’t send JSON-type payloads via email so Blocks won’t work (Slack doesn’t parse email in any way that allows that) - I already asked the question to Support and they confirmed it’s not possible.

That is interesting with the block kit. So you managed to make one app for one workspace and post as your user account between other workspaces without having to make an app on each one? Did you still have to authorise for each workspace as your user?

I am going to check out block kit in the morning to see what is going on there, as far as I can see with the permissions and the permissions we allow our users you can’t always add an app as a user to a workspace and all apps need to be connected in some way to the workspace.

It could be that block kit does something special but I would see that as a potential security risk so there could be something else going on that none of us have thought of.

1 Like

No, so far I created as many apps as workspaces allowed me to. That works, it’s just not scalable and doesn’t overcome those workspaces where you can’t add an app.

Block Kit Builder does the trick for you, I have no idea how it operates internally.

• Get the blocks ready
  • Select workspace from dropdown (top right)
  • Click Send to Slack
  • Enter channel name (auto populated)
  • and there you go, message is delivered.

That sounds magical and I am surprised it works. I will do some digging and see if I can spot anything.

1 Like

After an email exchange with Slack Support, I got this:

• Yes, it is expected behavior for the Block Kit Builder to send messages directly
  • They MAY consider adding that behavior via API on day (polite way to tell me “forget about it”)
  • There is no current documentation as to how the Builder achieves this

My take is that it shouldn’t be too hard to reverse engineer how it’s done.

@Jon thoughts?

I think that is Slack saying there is something sneaky on the backend side of the block kit that is internal only to slack at the moment.

I did have a quick play yesterday morning before work got in the way and I couldn’t see anything on the front end that could be used to make it possible.

I started looking at command line slack clients to see if anyone else has worked out a way but I am still going down that hole and it looks like no matter what angle you take an app needs to be authorised.

Right now the best I can think of is a lot of browser automation to load the workspace login find the channel and send the message.

Yeah, I pointed out to the Support dude that if the interface is allowing to do it manually then it’s a backdoor for using browser-side automation.
It’s a ridiculous situation because now it takes me 2 hours to manually post all the messages for TechUp in all the workspaces while it could be done in 1 minute via n8n.

It is a pain, as soon as Slack allow it though I am sure it will be easily doable in n8n.

Until then though it is back to trying to think about easier workarounds.

1 Like

@Jon is it just me or the Block Kit Builder has removed the ability to list all the Slack workspaces?

1 Like

It does look like it

That is so fastidious.
Even if it was manually at least we could sent Block messages. Now I have no way to do it after spending hours formatting our comm on blocks.
WTF.

Alright so… it was be being an idiot.
I cleared the cache the other day for some troubleshooting and it didn’t occur to me that it would affect those credentials since Slack desktop was working well with all the workspaces. I obviously don’t understand how they handle authentication.
My bad.
(I started re-authenticating and it’s all coming back now).

I wonder why I still don’t have it back, I was on a different machine so it could be the same deal.

It’s likely that, yes.
Slack has a very strange authentication system. I get why they would like to have separate credentials per workspace, what beats me is why they force you to authenticate one by one (with a click) in certain screens when they could do mass auth.
Strange UX.

Anyway, the good thing is that at least they didn’t cut the manual option.