"Set sender email" gone in Gmail node after update

Hi,

I noticed that the “Set sender email” in Gmail node is gone after the update.
Any plans on bringing it back?

There is “Override” setting in the pre-update Gmail nodes, but I can’t find it in the post-update ones.
Any plans on getting rid of that as well?

Information on my n8n setup:

• n8n version: 0.195.5
  • Database you’re using: SQLite
  • Running n8n via Docker

Hey @Rafix,

There is a Sender Name option under Options, Is that what you are looking for?

Hey @Jon

Not really.
From what I gather it is now limited to specifying Sender Name and has been stripped of the option to insert Sender emai with <> brackets as it was before the update.
So now all emails come from the main email and not from the aliases.

Hey @Rafix,

You are right, Looking at the code for the node we only set the name now as the email needs to be the same one that authenticates in the API so could lead to errors. We now automatically get the users email from the profile.

Were you previously using a different email address from the authenticated user? As a workaround if you take one of your old nodes from a previous workflow you can copy / paste it into a new workflow and you will be able to use the previous version.

I have added this to our internal feature request tracker so that we can evaluate adding it back in.

Thanks @Jon for your quick reply.
That is probably why my email often ended up in spam.

Thanks for looking into it and helping me out.
Best regards,
Rafal

Hey Jon,

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I got some input regarding your question:

I think there is a pretty good use case for a custom email field in the Gmail Node: The "+alias feature from Gmail. To make customer support easier for us, we were sending mails with “[email protected]” which is a feature that Gmail supports and helps us to keep track of replies. As long as your connected E-Mail Api-Account is “[email protected]” Gmail allows you to add anything with a + behind that inbox name.

Sending E-Mails like this still works in the new Gmail node when entering the custom email address in brackets, because Gmail only takes the last <> email inside brackets and removes all other brackets in the name, but that means that the recipient now sees our original address included in the sender name. (See image):

It would be awesome if you could consider re-adding the feature to select a custom sender address, or - perhaps even cooler - if you could create a native field for the alias feature, inside the Gmail node :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just realized that the word I was searching to describe that feature was suffix, and not alias :smiley:

Best regards,
Joris

1 Like

Maybe do you have some good news about this feature?

Hey @Bartlomiej_Borzucki,

Welcome to the community :tada:

This is one of those cases where I get to give you some good news… This feature was released in 0.234.0 so you can now set the send name AND the reply to address.

Hey @Jon
Thank you for your response, but it’s not really what I was referring to. Just like Rafix mentioned in <>, I still have my main email and I can’t choose from which email I can send a message. It’s a real pity that this functionality isn’t available in n8n :frowning:
Unless, of course, you know another way to solve this problem?

Sending a message as a different email is a tricky beast and opens more issues, we could add that in as well later. Reply to covered most use cases we could think of though, if you actually have 2 emails the quick option would be to create a credential for the second email.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. I had my domain connected to Gmail (via Google Domain) and I created a new send SMTP node, created an app password, logged in and it’s working.

1 Like