Setting up n8n on AWS Lightsail Docker Container

Hi all,

I’m trying to get n8n setup on AWS’s new Lightsail container service and, if I’m honest, I just don’t know how.

This is what needs filling in:

Any tips welcomed, I’d love to write a tutorial for others trying once I’ve got it running.

Hey @Andy!

Welcome to the community!

Thank you so, this would be really cool! Since it is a question at the movement, I am moving it to the Question category. But feel free to open up another thread in Docs and Tutorials later on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure if it is possible to get the n8n docker image working directly like that (it is for sure possible but I mean for production usage with own domain). Because you still need a reverse proxy to take care of SSL for example. Have personally sadly no experience with AWS Lightsail at all, maybe there is also something that can help there in Lightsail itself. Probably somebody who has a lot of AWS experience can shed some light there.

Because of my not existing experience does it seem easiest for me to use some kind of ubuntu base image and then follow the server setup guide:

Turns out I just needed to change to HTTP rather than HTTPS. All working, now just to get my data to persist!

1 Like

The problem with using HTTP and not HTTPS is that you will not be able to register Webhooks with the most services as they require SSL and an own domain (no IP address).

Could you set up a gateway forwarding to the server, hosting HTTPS endpoints for integrations?

Welcome to the community @NigelThorne!

Yes, that is exactly what we have setup and we call tunnel.

That tunnel is however only meant for testing & development and not for production use. For production use an own domain/subdomain with own SSL certificate should be used.

Hey @Andy!
Did you manage to work it out on Lightsail in the end?
Any tips?

Hey @ErwanJR,

One tip worth starting with is don’t use the bottom tier, The CPU resource provided is not really enough to do anything with.

1 Like