Skipped node linking is not working corretly

Describe the problem/error/question

When a node is skipped the linking method of a field does not work when we use it gives an error. see screenshot. The difference is in the last nodes, we refer to these two fields
working - {{ $node[‘Einddatum format Saar’].json[“Einddatum format Saar”] }}
not working - {{$(‘Einddatum format Saar1’).item.json [‘Einddatum format Saar’]}}
Why is there a difference in handling the result?
We shared the workflow, for both the working linking and not working linking of the fields.

We got an answer in this post that the $() option is the way forward but this is not always working.

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.225.2
  • Operating system: Linux

Hi @timautomation, I am very sorry for the trouble.

Item linking/paired items are not available in all nodes I am afraid, meaning you will unfortunately run into this problem from time to time. This is what $('Node name').item... expressions would use.

An expression of $node['Node name']... on the other hand will work in a much simpler way where the nodes between the referenced node and the current node don’t need to support item linking. Instead, for the first item on the current node, n8n would simply try to look up the first item on the referenced node. For the second item on the current node, n8n would look up the second item on the referenced node etc. This will work fine as long as the order and number of items hasn’t changed between nodes.

I hope this explains the difference between both approaches.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.