Slack Trigger for New Messages in Channel

Hi, We are new to n8n, but curious what method exists to complete the following:

• watch for new messages in 1 slack channel in 1 workspace and trigger n8n from new messages since last run. (Stuck on this part)
  • take this data and pass to Salesforce (I think I have this sorted)

I have not got a full workflow yet to share, but I see people reference using the Webhook-Node for this, but I am unsure how to set Slack up for this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi @James_Laurie, welcome to the community!

On the Slack side you would need to register a new app and have it use the Events API. This is described here: Using the Slack Events API | Slack

Using n8n’s webhook node you can receive arbitrary HTTP Requests, including those made by Slack. You would need to ensure that your webhook node answers as expected by Slack for this to work (this is described in the URL verification handshake section of the page linked above).

Let me know if you run into any trouble with this!

2 Likes

Hi MutedJam, do you have any working sample to illustrate how this work?

Hey @Issac_Chua,

No examples that I am aware of for this one, Looking at the Slack API docs there are a few bits that need to happen like request verification which can be done with the quick workflow below. You would need to maybe use a switch node to work out if it is a challenge request or data being posted but hopefully this will get you started.

1 Like

I am good with slack now, managed to workaround with my own method… but i am current stuck with other stuff like google sheet :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.