SQL Server Node: "PayloadTooLargeError: request entity too large"

I am using the Microsoft SQL node to do some updates and encountered an error from the UI:

I have seen the related issue: PayloadTooLargeError: request entity too large for 100kb request which talks about limits on (input) file sizes and also on Request Size. I guess I am breaching the size of the request but my input file is < 1MB. It contains 9736 records.

On digging into the logs, I found:

PayloadTooLargeError: request entity too large
    at readStream (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:156:17)
    at getRawBody (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/raw-body/index.js:109:12)
    at read (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/body-parser/lib/read.js:79:3)
    at jsonParser (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/body-parser/lib/types/json.js:135:5)
    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
    at trim_prefix (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:328:13)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:286:9
    at Function.process_params (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:346:12)
    at next (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:280:10)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/Server.js:364:13
    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
    at trim_prefix (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:328:13)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:286:9
    at Function.process_params (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:346:12)
    at next (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:280:10)
    at compression (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/compression/index.js:220:5)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/Server.js:358:13

I guess there is a limit to the number of records the node can handle - possibly limited by host memory ? In this example, the workflow was throwing 9,786 records at the UPDATE node.

I am keen to know what the limit is or how I might be able to predict this limit so I can prevent / throttle the number of records presented to an UPDATE action on a SQL node.

Does this mean I should be setting N8N_PAYLOAD_SIZE_MAX to a bigger value (currently set to 16) ?

• n8n version: 0.197.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): Postgres for the system but in this case, Microsoft SQL Server
  • Running n8n via Docker

Hi @simon.lewis, n8n uses JSON data structures under the hood which aren’t as memory efficient as other data structures. Depending on the file type the difference can be very significant. n8n also keeps copies of the data structure for each node in your workflow and sends these copies to the browser when manually executing a workflow, all driving up the memory being used.

So, to predict the exact memory consumption you might want to run a few test executions (perhaps with 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 rows) of your actual workflow and then use the results as a baseline for your assumptions.

With all that said, the PayloadTooLargeError problem can usually be solved by updating the N8N_PAYLOAD_SIZE_MAX environment variable you have mentioned. The value is used in a couple of places (you can do Ctrl+F for payloadSizeMax on this page if you’re curious where exactly), pretty much whenever a request payload has to be parsed.

Great advice. Thanks.

1 Like