Suggestion: Simplified Pricing $1/active workflow/month (unlimited executions)

Hi There,

After reading multiple (old?) threads about pricing, I thought I’d offer my $0.02 to the n8n team.

I’ve used multiple automation platforms, including Zapier and Make. Production workflows that scale from 1 to 1M+ workloads. The beauty of no-code/low-code systems is in prototyping ideas and making it easy for creators to experiment and pivot. Picking a pricing model that stifles this innovation will alienate your customers.

But rather than criticize existing pricing, let me instead offer a constructive suggestion on how n8n could drastically undercut the market and massively grow their customer base.

Self-Hosting Pricing:

• $1 per active workflow per month (unlimited executions)
  • All enterprise features unlocked; no more feature-based pricing
  • Unlimited execution time per running workflow

Cloud Pricing:

• $2 per active workflow per month (unlimited executions)
  • All enterprise features unlocked; no more feature-based pricing
  • 40 minutes max execution time per running workflow

Why:

• It’s simple to understand. It’s simple to enforce. And it’s predictable.

• Self-Hosted customers are still paying additional infrastructure costs beyond the n8n license. Keep in mind, if you make your licensing costs too high, you completely drive away this business.

• Cloud customers are paying for turn-key, so paying double makes sense here. Keep in mind, “unlimited executions” isn’t really “unlimited” because:

1. An active workflow can’t run multiple times in parallel (I think?)
  2. The total run time of an active workflow needs to complete within 40 minutes (otherwise it will get cancelled)
  3. So for any complex workloads, you’ll have to naturally split the work across multiple workflows for scalability, which directly increases the number of active workflows at any given time
  4. During experimentation phases, customers will naturally make mistakes and generate larger (temp) usages while they “learn” the right way to build workflows – you really don’t want to penalize them on costs while they are learning to use the platform
2 Likes