Trello Trigger has "Unknown Error"

Describe the issue/error/question

I have set up a self hosted n8n environment (v. 0.191.1) on my headless raspberry pi in a docker container without any special settings – just a new fresh installation.

When I try to execute a Trello Trigger I get an “Unknown Error”. The GUI does not display any other information. The credentials of Trello are working. When I test the connections, there are not problems.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-22 um 12.59.17

Since I have it running in a docker container I get some more information out of the console:

ERROR RESPONSE
NodeApiError: UNKNOWN ERROR - check the detailed error for more information
    at Object.apiRequest (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Trello/GenericFunctions.js:18:15)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at async Object.create (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Trello/TrelloTrigger.node.js:78:42)
    ... 3 lines matching cause stack trace ...
    at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/ResponseHelper.js:90:26 {
  context: {},
  cause: NodeApiError: Bad request - please check your parameters
      at Object.requestWithAuthentication (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/NodeExecuteFunctions.js:923:19)
      at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
      at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
      at async Object.apiRequest (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Trello/GenericFunctions.js:15:16)
      at async Object.create (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Trello/TrelloTrigger.node.js:78:42)
      at async ActiveWebhooks.add (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/ActiveWebhooks.js:32:17)
      at async TestWebhooks.needsWebhookData (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/TestWebhooks.js:99:17)
      at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/Server.js:662:38
      at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/src/ResponseHelper.js:90:26 {
    context: {},
    cause: Error: Request failed with status code 400
        at createError (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/axios/lib/core/createError.js:16:15)
        at settle (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/axios/lib/core/settle.js:17:12)
        at IncomingMessage.handleStreamEnd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/axios/lib/adapters/http.js:269:11)
        at IncomingMessage.emit (node:events:525:35)
        at IncomingMessage.emit (node:domain:489:12)
        at endReadableNT (node:internal/streams/readable:1358:12)
        at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:83:21) {
      config: undefined,
      request: undefined,
      response: [Object],
      isAxiosError: true,
      toJSON: [Function: toJSON],
      cause: {},
      error: [Object],
      statusCode: 400,
      options: [Object]
    },
    timestamp: 1661164885134,
    node: {
      parameters: [Object],
      id: '<id-cleared>',
      name: 'Trello Trigger',
      type: 'n8n-nodes-base.trelloTrigger',
      typeVersion: 1,
      position: [Array],
      webhookId: '<webhook-id-cleared>',
      credentials: [Object]
    },
    httpCode: '400',
    description: 'ERROR'
  },
  timestamp: 1661164885136,
  node: {
    parameters: { id: '<id-cleared>' },
    id: '<id-cleared>',
    name: 'Trello Trigger',
    type: 'n8n-nodes-base.trelloTrigger',
    typeVersion: 1,
    position: [ -280, -220 ],
    webhookId: '<webhook-id-cleared>',
    credentials: { trelloApi: [Object] }
  },
  httpCode: null,
  description: 'ERROR'
}

I cleared out all possible sensitive information. If any of these information are necessary to give an answer just let me know but the content of the fields made sense.

If I try to create a very simple workflow without a Trello trigger like: Start => Regular Trello Node to create a new Trello card, it works fine. Only the Trigger node doesn’t seem to work at all.

Do you have any hints? Can you tell from these information if the problem is caused by n8n or by my headless-RPi-network-access setup?

Sven

Hi @svaen-io, I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This seems like the Trello API doesn’t like the request made by the trigger and responds with a 400 status.

Could you share your trigger node so we can reproduce this? Simply select Ctrl+C on your n8n canvas to copy the JSON description and then paste it here on the forum.

Hi @MutedJam thank you for your fast reply. Basically it doesn’t matter which workflow the trigger node is placed in. But here is one that isn’t working.

I created a quite complex Trello workflow on a former desktop instance of n8n which worked well. I’ve set up the RPi to have the workflow running 24/7. I exported the workflow from my desktop instance and imported it in the self-hosted environment. My “complex” workflow starting with the trigger node doesn’t work, but also if I create an empty workflow and just add a trigger, it also doesn’t work.

Cheers @svaen-io, so the good news is this seems fine in principle. Your Model ID looks fine and I could enable the workflow just fine.

Are you perhaps using a publicly accessible webhook URL using HTTPS? You can view the webhook URLs by clicking on Webhook URLs inside your node like so:

When enabling the trigger node, n8n would behind the scenes trying to register a new webhook with Trello which is what Trello rejects in your case. So I suspect they might not like your webhook URL for some reason.

Ah ok – I got the problem. It wasn’t the https but I found my way to the solution with your answer: it was the missing tunnel mode on start up so i still had a localhost-webhook url.

Sorry to bother you with “noob questions” like that. :smiley: I’m pretty new to topics like that.

Thank you for your help! Cheers.

1 Like

Glad to hear you figured it out, thanks so much for confirming!

Also, never hold back with any questions.

1 Like

Sorry to bother.

How exactly did you solve your problem @svaen-io
it was the missing tunnel mode on start up so i still had a localhost-webhook url.

Hi @suardim see here: Docker - n8n Documentation I just added the --tunnel at the end of the command. It fixes the urls of the webhook of the trello trigger.

Hi @svaen-io thanks!
It worked yesterday when I was doing some tests… today when I tried the same error appeared.
And I did not shut down the server yesterday.