UI: Using Set/Rename Nodes With Large JSON Objects

One area I feel like could be improved is the UI/UX around the set and rename nodes specifically when dealing with larger JSON objects.

Say I make an HTTP GET request that returns a JSON body with 30-40 fields and I need to map it to another HTTP POST request that takes a similar number of fields but all renamed and maybe some excluded. As far as I know, I have to go in and add each one of the fields, specify a type, and drag/drop or enter an expression to set where the data is coming from. It takes a lot of time to go through each field for large requests and it would be nice if there was a shortcut or simpler way to speed up the field mapping.

It would be nice to get the input data on the left from the previous node (like how you can today), specify some data in the output by editing (also can be done today), and then dragging the input field all the way to the output field. Doing this would create the mapping in the middle automatically with the name being the field name from the output, the type being the same as the output, and the value being an expression that comes from the input.

In an ideal world, it would be great to remove the middle section entirely, be able to specify the input and output data, and then just draw lines connecting the input fields to the output fields so you can see the mapping visually. I think this could really speed up mappings between large JSON structures.

Hi @barnesew

Welcome to the community.
There is a community node available that might help you with this.

Thanks for the response @BramKn!

That definitely is a step in the direction I want to go. Specifically, with helping visualize the mappings between input and output. The biggest thing I think I’m still missing is how to go from the large target JSON structure to the from/to mappings quickly. With the templates from your advanced rename keys node, I still have to convert the output JSON structure to a list of fields manually. The templates do now allow me to use a program like vscode to help speed up converting some example output JSON data to a list of fields, but it is still a bit cumbersome.

You can simply have it as a table and read it with n8n. :wink: