Unhelpful in forum: "A newer version of this node type is available......."

So often when I am looking at previous questions/answers for information when I come across a workflow and try to look at the the node configuration, specifically " Upload CSV with HTTP Request" from Jan 22. When I try to look at the “Function node” by double clicking I get the message, “A newer version of this node type is available, called the ‘Code’ node” this is very frustrating and unhelpful and a waste of my time.

What is the error message (if any)? none

Please share your workflow : none

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node “A newer version of this node type is available, called the ‘Code’ node”

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.261.2
  • Database (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): main
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): desktop app
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

Hi @fdavidg, I am very sorry to hear you consider this a waste of your time.

The previews here on the forum are rendered by a regular n8n instance which would display this message to make users aware of the available upgrade. You can still view the full code being used by clicking on the code input field of the older Function/Function Item nodes:

I shall convert your question into a feature request, so the product team can consider removing this hint in the future.

Actually do not think that the message is the problem here. The problem is a bug that currently results in the code not being displayed (it does so only after having clicked on it the first time).

Meaning. Instead of looking like this:
Screenshot from 2023-06-22 15-14-39

Should it actually look like this:

As mentioned, is it a bug that I hope we will fix soon. And as @MutedJam mentioned, can you already see the code now, after clicking on the empty line. Is just not very obvious at all.

2 Likes

I did not realize that I could still view the full code being used by clicking on the code input field of the older Function/Function item nodes. Maybe add this to the message about “A newer version of this node is available…” and “You can still view the full code being used…”
Thank you for the explaination.
I am still trying to learn n8n and it is awesome and sometimes overwhelming!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.