Update/migration issues (v1.22.6)

Hey all! :wave: I’m currently running n8n on Docker Compose via DigitalOcean. Unfortunately, it has been a while since I updated, and I didn’t realize that v1.x had some warnings about breakage.

Current Issue

I was able to update successfully (I think?), but now n8n is currently stuck on the n8n is starting up. Please wait page for around 1.5 hours now.

I had updated my instance from version 0.233.1 to 1.22.6. (I believe I only updated to the latest version, not the most recent. I used docker pull n8nio/n8n to pull this update.)

Error Messages/Screenshots

I’ve been looking at the n8n logs for the last hour or so, and it looks like it’s currently stuck on the last log (“Starting migration MigrateIntegerKeysToString1690000000002”) for a while. (I’ve reran the logs a few times to check.)

n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Initializing n8n process
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | ♥
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Server path not specified, so defaulting to ipc.config.socketRoot + ipc.config.appspace + ipc.config.id /tmp/app.bot
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | starting server on  /tmp/app.bot 
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | starting TLS server false
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | starting server as Unix || Windows Socket
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | ipc bot server started
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | n8n ready on 0.0.0.0, port 5678
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Migrations in progress, please do NOT stop the process.
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Starting migration RemoveSkipOwnerSetup1681134145997
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Finished migration RemoveSkipOwnerSetup1681134145997
n8n-docker-caddy-n8n-1  | Starting migration MigrateIntegerKeysToString1690000000002

Also, my DigitalOcean CPU load has been almost maxed out since the migration started:

Load has also flatlined at 1 (although I couldn’t tell you what that means):

Information on my n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.22.6 (previous version: 0.233.1)
  • Database (default: SQLite): Not sure how to check, but I believe SQLite. I didn’t see anything in the .env files about the database type when I tried to check.
  • Running n8n via: Docker Compose via DigitalOcean
  • Operating system: 2 GB Memory / 1 AMD vCPU / 50 GB Disk / NYC1 - Docker 20.10.21 on Ubuntu 22.04

I mainly just need to know if I should revert at this point? All of my workflows are backed up in Github every 4 hours, so if I do need to start from scratch, it’s okay. My main concern is that I’m running n8n on a smaller Docker instance due to my personal finances, and I don’t want DigitalOcean to charge me an arm and a leg if the CPU is running at max for a long time.

Admittedly, I’m fairly amateur at Docker Compose (I usually end up googling a lot of it, or reading these forum posts), so I might need explanations broken down to me like I’m 5. :sweat_smile:

(Thanks in advance for the help with this!)

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:
1 Like

(I’m marking this as solved since I’ve decided to revert/start from scratch from v1.0+ instead. Feel free to ignore this thread. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hey @Nectar,

No worries, The issue itself is likely related to the amount of data in your database. It would eventually have finished but one other option would have been to clear out the old execution data then run the upgrade and that would made it quicker.

In the future we don’t plan on introducing migrations that take that long, The change for this one was one when we changed the field type for the IDs.

1 Like

Thank you Jon!! I appreciate your help and explanation about this! :smile: I had some workflows running every 2 minutes for over a year, so that definitely explains why it was taking so long. :laughing: (I’m now building a workflow to auto-delete executions after a certain amount of time to save space and hopefully make updates faster in the future.)

We have pruning functionality already built into n8n. So no need to build a workflow for that. You can find the docs about it here:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.